Finding the Minimum of a Function: A Guide for Calculus Students

In summary: Oops, I forgot about the x in the x coordinate of r. In the x coordinate of c1p + c2q, the x will be multiplied by c1, so the equation for x will bex = c1*p1 + c2*q1where p1 is the x coordinate of vector p, and q1 is the x coordinate of vector q. Do you see how this works?okay so the plane is defined by p and q. and r is a vector that is in the same plane as p and q. and i need to find the value of x for r. so would it be safe to say then that c1 = 1 and c2 = 1?No. c
BilloRani2012

Homework Statement

Check for minimum:
When you've got your x value and sub it back into the f'(x) equation, should you get zero if it's a minimum?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
BilloRani2012 said:

Homework Statement

Check for minimum:
When you've got your x value and sub it back into the f'(x) equation, should you get zero if it's a minimum?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Absolutely!
If you got some value other then zero for the rate of change, then the value just to one side of that point would have a lower value, right? So it wouldn't be a minimum!

okay thanks :)

could you please help me with this question:

Any two vectors that are not parallel define a plane. So p = i + j - k and q = 2i + j define a plane. For what values of x is the vector r = xi + j + k in this plane?

ITS DUE TMRW!

BilloRani2012 said:
okay thanks :)

could you please help me with this question:

Any two vectors that are not parallel define a plane. So p = i + j - k and q = 2i + j define a plane. For what values of x is the vector r = xi + j + k in this plane?

ITS DUE TMRW!

Sure, I'll help. But only if you give it a crack first and tell me where you run into trouble.

Disconnected said:
Absolutely!
If you got some value other then zero for the rate of change, then the value just to one side of that point would have a lower value, right? So it wouldn't be a minimum!
What is the minimum of f(x) = x on the interval 1 <= x <= 2? Is the derivative of f equal to zero there?

RGV

BilloRani2012 said:

Homework Statement

Check for minimum:
Aren't you going backwards here? Presumably you got an equation by setting f'(x) to zero, and then you solved for x in the equation f'(x) = 0. The solutions to this equation are possible candidates for being minima or maxima or neither.

Some examples:
1) f(x) = x2, f'(x) = 2x and f'(x) = 0 for x = 0. There is a (global) minimum at (0, 0).
2) g(x) = x3, g'(x) = 3x2 and g'(x) = 0 for x = 0. It turns out that this function has neither a minimum or maximum value of any kind (local or global).
3) h(x) = |x|, h'(x) = 1 if x > 0 and h'(x) = -1 if x < 0. There is a global minimum at (0, 0) even though there is no value of x for which h'(x) = 0.
4) (Ray's example) f(x) = x on [1, 2], f'(x) = 1. There is a minimum at (1, 1) and a maximum at (2, 2), even though f'(x) is never 0.

Ray Vickson said:
What is the minimum of f(x) = x on the interval 1 <= x <= 2? Is the derivative of f equal to zero there?

RGV

Of course. Very good point that I missed completely. I was thinking global minimums.

Disconnected said:
Of course. Very good point that I missed completely. I was thinking global minimums.
If you goal is finding global minima or maxima, you want to look at
1) values of x for which f'(x) = 0.
2) values of x in the domain of f for which f' is undefined.
3) endpoints of an interval on which the function is defined.

Okay so the question was:

My tutor said to find the the dot product of p and q. But we can't because p has 3 values and q just has 2 values??

q = 2i + j +0k

That gives you the third component.

okay. so do i just find the dot product of p and q? But then how would i find x??

BilloRani2012 said:
Okay so the question was:

My tutor said to find the the dot product of p and q. But we can't because p has 3 values and q just has 2 values??
First of all: I don't see what this has to do with the Original Post in this thread -- the question about the minimum.

For the question regarding the vectors:

I suggest finding the cross product (vector product), p × q. That vector is normal to the plane determined by p & q. Then for r to be in that same plane, it must also be perpendicular to the vector p × q .

To echo what LCKurtz said, you should start a new thread when you have a new problem.

Here's a different approach to your vector problem. Since r is in the plane that is defined by p and q, r has to be a linear combination of p and q. By linear combination, I mean a sum of scalar multiples of p and q. This means that r = c1p + c2q, for some scalars (real constants) c1 and c2.

Two vectors are equal if and only if their corresponding components are equal. If you set the x, y, and z components equal in the equation above, you will get three equations in three unknowns, which you can solve for c1, c2, and x.

TO Mark44: So do u mean set x = c1p + c2p, y = c1p + c2p and z = c1p + c2p

No. Set the x coordinate of r equal to the x coordinate of c1p + c2q, set the y coordinate of r equal to the y coordinate of c1p + c2q, and set the z coordinate of r equal to the z coordinate of c1p + c2q. Maybe that's what you meant, but that isn't what you said.

Mark44 said:
If you goal is finding global minima or maxima, you want to look at
1) values of x for which f'(x) = 0.
2) values of x in the domain of f for which f' is undefined.
3) endpoints of an interval on which the function is defined.

[STRIKE]I hate everybody.[/STRIKE] It's entirely possible that I should just stop [STRIKE]trying to help[/STRIKE] confrusing people with wrong advice.

This same problem was posted under "physics homework" so I am merging this with that thread.

1. What is the minimum of a function?

The minimum of a function is the lowest value that the function takes on within a given interval. It is also referred to as the "global minimum" or the "absolute minimum."

2. How do I find the minimum of a function?

To find the minimum of a function, you can use the process of optimization. This involves taking the derivative of the function, setting it equal to zero, and solving for the critical points. You can then plug these critical points back into the original function to determine which one gives the minimum value.

3. Can a function have more than one minimum?

Yes, a function can have multiple minimum values. These are known as "local minima" and occur at points where the function has a slope of zero, but there are other points with lower values nearby. The global minimum is the lowest value overall, while local minima are the lowest values in their respective regions.

4. What is the difference between finding a minimum and finding a minimum value?

Finding a minimum refers to the process of determining the exact value of the minimum point of a function. This involves finding critical points and evaluating them in the original function. Finding a minimum value refers to simply identifying the lowest value that the function takes on within a given interval, without necessarily knowing the exact location of the minimum point.

5. Can calculus be used to find the minimum of any function?

Yes, calculus can be used to find the minimum of any function that is continuous and differentiable within the given interval. However, the process may become more complex for functions with multiple variables or more complicated expressions.