Minimum tangential speed for orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for calculating the shape and size of an orbit based on certain assumptions, and the minimum tangential velocity needed for orbit to occur. It also touches on the concept of eccentricity and its relation to total energy in different types of orbits.
albertrichardf
Hello.
Is there a formula describing the shape of the orbit and the size of the orbit given the tangential and perpendicular speeds? This would be based on the assumptions that the planets are point particles, everything is in a vacuum, that there are no other gravitational fields, and that one particle is much heavier than the other, so much so that it would not move noticeably at all. I would like to use it to calculate the minimum tangential velocity needed for orbit.

Also, suppose Earth was a sphere without atmosphere (no pun intended). If the minimum tangential velocity as calculated above was achieved on the surface, would there be an orbit, or would the object just crash into the ground? If the ground was such that the object could pass through unhindered, would there be an orbit?

Thank you for answering

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello arf,

You want to investigate Kepler orbits , or -- for a simpler math description -- circular orbits a little bit to be able to answer these questions.

I remember a cute animation where a cannon is shot horizontally on an Earth represented greatly scaled down. It the cannonball moves enough so that the falling follows teh curvature of the Earth you have your circular orbit. So your question is answered with: yes.

Albertrichardf said:
This would be based on the assumptions that the planets are point particles ... I would like to use it to calculate the minimum tangential velocity needed for orbit.
The minimum is 0. Only at 0 tangential velocity will point particles collide. At any non zero velocity they will miss and orbit.

Likes bahamagreen
Thanks to BvU for the link and answer, and thanks to Dale for the answer.

I noticed something about the eccentricity though. Its definition makes it look like it can be imaginary, with a small enough initial velocity (so that the total energy is negative, but such that the angular momentum is non-zero). It shouldn't be physically possible. Is there something I'm missing here?
Thank you for answering

Albertrichardf said:
I noticed something about the eccentricity though. Its definition makes it look like it can be imaginary, with a small enough initial velocity (so that the total energy is negative, but such that the angular momentum is non-zero). It shouldn't be physically possible. Is there something I'm missing here?
Do you, perhaps, mean that total energy is positive? That would apply when initial velocity exceeds escape velocity. The resulting orbit is then hyperbolic rather than elliptical.

I meant when the total energy is negative, so that the velocity is very small. In that case the potential energy far exceeds the kinetic energy.
But never mind I got it. If the energy is negative, the angular momentum should be very small, making their product much less than one.

Albertrichardf said:
I meant when the total energy is negative, so that the velocity is very small. In that case the potential energy far exceeds the kinetic energy.
For an elliptical or circular orbit, total energy is always negative. For a parabolic orbit, total energy is zero. For a hyperbolic orbit, total energy is positive.

1. What is the minimum tangential speed required for an object to orbit around another object?

The minimum tangential speed for orbit, also known as orbital velocity, is calculated using the equation v = √(Gm/r), where G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the central object, and r is the distance between the two objects. This speed varies depending on the mass and distance of the objects involved.

2. How does the minimum tangential speed for orbit differ for different celestial bodies?

The minimum tangential speed for orbit is different for different celestial bodies because it is dependent on the mass and distance between the objects. For example, the minimum speed required to orbit around the Earth is much lower than the speed required to orbit around the Sun, due to the difference in mass and distance between the two objects.

3. Is the minimum tangential speed for orbit the same for all orbits?

No, the minimum tangential speed for orbit varies for different types of orbits. For a circular orbit, the minimum speed will remain constant, but for an elliptical orbit, the speed will vary as the object moves closer to or farther away from the central object.

4. How is the minimum tangential speed for orbit related to escape velocity?

The minimum tangential speed for orbit is directly related to the escape velocity, which is the minimum speed required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a celestial body. If an object's tangential speed is equal to or greater than the escape velocity, it will not be in orbit and will instead escape the gravitational pull.

5. Can the minimum tangential speed for orbit be calculated for objects in our solar system?

Yes, the minimum tangential speed for orbit can be calculated for any object in our solar system using the aforementioned equation. This calculation is used to determine the orbital velocity of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies in our solar system.