Minimum thickness n/wavelength equation?

In summary, when white light is incident normally on a thin soap film with a refractive index of 1.33, the minimum thickness for constructive reflection of light with a wavelength of 477 nm is 89.66 nm. This can be determined by dividing the wavelength by 4. The next minimum thickness is 269 nm, which is obtained by multiplying the first answer by 3. This can be visualized by considering the phases of the incident and reflected waves and their interference. The general expression for the minimum thickness of the soap film for constructive interference is ##\frac{1}{4}\frac{\lambda}{n}##, where ##\frac{\lambda}{n}## is the wavelength of the light inside the film
asdf12312

Homework Statement

White light is incident normally on a thin soap film (n = 1.33) suspended in air.
1. What is the minimum thickness of the soap film that will constructively reflect light of wavelength 477 nm?
2. What is the next minimum thickness of the soap film that will constructively reflect light of wavelength 477 nm?

Homework Equations

DONT NEED NONE

The Attempt at a Solution

for #1 i found the answer is [itex]\frac{\frac{\lambda}{n}}{4}[/itex] so 89.66nm was the answer to this, but i don't know why i divided by 4. can someone give an equation/explanation of why i had to do this?
for #2 i have no idea but i foudn to get the right answer i just multiplied my answer for #1 by 3. so 86.99*3=269nm.

Physics news on Phys.org
It may help you to draw a picture. Draw the film and an incoming incident wave. Suppose the wave is at a crest when it hits the surface of the film. A few questions to guide your sketch:
- What happens to the phase of a wave when it reflects from a material of higher index? Use this to draw the wave reflected from the front surface of the film. (Call this wave 1)
- What happens to the phase of a wave when it is transmitted from a material of lower index to one of higher index? Use this to draw the part of the incident wave that passes through the front surface of the film. (Call this wave 2)
- What happens to the phase of a wave when it reflects from a material of lower index? Use this to draw the part of wave 2 that is reflected from the back surface of the film. (Call this wave 3)
- What happens to the phase of a wave when it is transmitted from a lower index to a higher index? Use this to draw the part of wave 3 that passes back through the front surface of the film. (Call this wave 4)

If you get your phases right and draw all of this, you will see that for wave 1 and wave 4 to constructively interfere, the smallest possible film thickness is ##\frac{1}{4}\frac{\lambda}{n}## (where ##\frac{\lambda}{n}## is the wavelength of the light inside the film). You will also be able to see what the second, and so on, smallest thickness is, and so figure out the general expression.

Likes madscientist_93

1. What is the minimum thickness n/wavelength equation?

The minimum thickness n/wavelength equation, also known as the thin film interference equation, is a formula used to calculate the minimum thickness of a thin film needed to produce constructive interference of light waves at a specific wavelength. It is expressed as t = (mλ)/(2n), where t is the minimum thickness, m is the order of the interference, λ is the wavelength, and n is the refractive index of the thin film material.

2. How does the minimum thickness n/wavelength equation work?

The equation is based on the principle of thin film interference, which occurs when light waves reflect off the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film. The reflected waves can either interfere constructively, creating bright fringes, or destructively, creating dark fringes. The equation calculates the minimum thickness needed for constructive interference to occur, based on the wavelength of the light and the refractive index of the thin film material.

3. What is the importance of the minimum thickness n/wavelength equation in science?

The equation is important in the field of optics and photonics, as it helps scientists and engineers determine the optimal thickness for thin films used in various applications such as anti-reflective coatings, optical filters, and solar cells. It also provides insight into the behavior of light waves and their interactions with matter.

4. Is the minimum thickness n/wavelength equation applicable to all types of thin films?

No, the equation is specifically designed for non-absorbing, transparent thin films. It assumes that the light waves are reflected at the top and bottom surfaces of the thin film without any significant loss of intensity. It may not accurately predict the behavior of light waves in absorbing or opaque thin films.

5. Can the minimum thickness n/wavelength equation be used for multiple interference patterns?

Yes, the equation can be used for multiple interference patterns, where light waves reflect off multiple thin films with different thicknesses and refractive indices. In this case, the equation can be modified to account for the total path length traveled by the light waves, taking into consideration the different refractive indices and thicknesses of each film.