1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimum wavelength

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a television, an electron is accelerated through a potential difference of 30,000 V. What is the minimum wavelength produced.

2. Relevant equations
    E = qv
    E = hf

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured that we should first find total energy.
    E = qv => E = (1 x 10^-16)(30,000) = 4.8 x 10^-15

Then I can manipulate the equation E = hf into E = hc/(lambda) to find the wavelength.
    I'm not sure if solving this equation will yield the minimum wavelength or the maximum wavelength. What is the case and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

the wavelength is inversely proportional to energy as you pointed out, so the minimum wavelength will be at maximum energy

4. Oct 13, 2009 #3
    That makes sense because frequency will be highest (and wavelength smallest) when energy is maxed.
    But, assuming that I solved for maximum energy, what would be minimum energy?

5. Oct 13, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

hmmm, not too sure... but:

the electron is accelerated from close to rest across 30,000V, so it starts with very low KE, clsoe to zero and its speed increases as it accelerates in teh potential difference upt a maximum at the end of the accerating region

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook