Where Can I Find an Introductory Mining Engineering Course at the BSc Level?

In summary, a suitable introductory course for mining engineering at a 4th year BSc level could be the Mining Engineering course offered by the University of Arizona, or a similar course from another university or MOOC platform.
Experience111
Hi everyone,

I am a student in engineering specializing in materials science and engineering currently pursuing the equivalent of a Master's Degree in France. I am interested in mining engineering and I love to learn things myself.

What is a good introductory course to mining engineering which goes over things with at least a 4th year of BSc level ?

Thanks for your help !

Physics news on Phys.org
A good introductory course to mining engineering could be the Mining Engineering course offered by the University of Arizona. This course covers topics such as geology, rock mechanics, mine design, and mineral extraction. It is a 4-credit course that provides an overview of the field and fundamental concepts. Other universities may have similar courses available, so it may be worth researching those options. Additionally, you might consider taking a mining engineering MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) to gain a better understanding of the field.

What is mining engineering?

Mining engineering is a branch of engineering that involves the discovery, extraction, and processing of minerals from the earth. It involves the use of technology and scientific principles to safely and efficiently extract valuable resources from the ground.

What topics are covered in a mining engineering textbook?

A mining engineering textbook typically covers a wide range of topics, including geology, mineral exploration, drilling and blasting, mineral processing, mine design and planning, environmental considerations, and safety measures. It may also include case studies, real-world examples, and practical applications of mining engineering principles.

What skills are required to study mining engineering?

To study mining engineering, one should have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are essential. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for success in this field.

Is a mining engineering textbook geared towards a specific level of education?

Mining engineering textbooks can vary in terms of the level of education they are geared towards. Some may be more suitable for undergraduate students, while others may be more advanced and geared towards graduate students or professionals in the mining industry. It is important to check the level of the textbook before purchasing it.

Are there any online resources available to supplement a mining engineering textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement a mining engineering textbook. These can include video lectures, interactive simulations, online forums for discussions and questions, and educational websites. It is always beneficial to utilize these resources to enhance understanding and learning.