Minor/double major for an ME student?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on what minor or double major to pursue as they enter Mechanical Engineering in college. Some suggest a minor in math or another engineering field, while others suggest a business or financial major for future financial success. However, it is ultimately recommended to wait until starting college and taking ME courses before deciding on a minor or double major, and instead getting involved in school clubs and interdisciplinary projects.
Elbobo
I'm entering college next year, and I'm not sure what I should do as I enter Mechanical Engineering. Is there a recommended minor, like Math or perhaps even another engineering field? How about double majoring in ME and another engineering field, like aerospace or electrical? I'm hoping either to strengthen myself in ME by doing Math as a minor/double major or to expand my abilities/options (and thus my future financial situation) by taking another engineering field.

Some people suggest some sort of business or financial major/minor to go along with an engineering major for the big bucks later on, but I'm not too sure how much I'd enjoy doing such a thing...

I'm heading to University of Texas Austin, and it'd be great to know how I should best complement my ME major. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a recommended minor, like Math or perhaps even another engineering field?
Most people minor in math 'cause at most schools the engineering majors are so loaded with math that it's an extra 2 or 3 courses. The general consensus on this board is that nobody really looks at minors most of the time, so it doesn't really matter what you do.

Some people suggest some sort of business or financial major/minor to go along with an engineering major for the big bucks later on, but I'm not too sure how much I'd enjoy doing such a thing...
So don't do it. Better yet, hold off on the whole minor/double major thing until you've actually started college and taken some ME courses and figured out if that's even the field you really want to be in, if you can handle taking on a heavier course load, and if you want to stick around for the extra time the minor/double major will take.

If you want to branch out join a school club, like ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) or SAE (society of automotive engineers) or the robotics club, and get involved with their often interdisciplinary projects.

Related to Minor/double major for an ME student?

1. Can an ME student pursue a minor or double major?

Yes, it is possible for an ME (Mechanical Engineering) student to pursue a minor or double major. Many universities offer a variety of minors and double majors that can complement an ME degree.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a minor or double major as an ME student?

Pursuing a minor or double major can enhance your knowledge and skills in a specific area, making you more competitive in the job market. It can also provide a well-rounded education and open up opportunities for advanced studies in a related field.

3. How does pursuing a minor or double major affect my graduation timeline?

It depends on the requirements of the minor or double major and how well it aligns with your ME degree. Some minors may only require a few additional courses, while others may require a significant amount of coursework, which can extend your graduation timeline.

4. Can I choose any minor or double major, or are there restrictions?

There may be restrictions or limitations on the minors or double majors that you can pursue, depending on your university and department. Some may only allow certain minors or double majors that are closely related to the ME degree.

5. How do I decide which minor or double major to pursue?

It is important to choose a minor or double major that aligns with your interests and career goals. Speak with your academic advisor and research the requirements and courses offered for different minors or double majors to find the best fit for you.