Mirror Size & Height: Solving the Puzzle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum size and height of a mirror for a woman who is 1.75m tall to see her entire body in it. The solution involves using similar triangles and drawing a line from the top of her head and feet to her eyes, with the highest point of the mirror being 5cm above her eyes and 1.65m/2 below her eyes. Equations are needed to accurately represent the solution.
Icheb
There is a woman who is 1,75m tall standing in front of a mirror. Her eyes are to be 10cm below the top of her head. I have to find out how small the mirror can be so that she can still see her entire body in it and how high it has to be hanging on top of the floor.

Now I think I can solve it by drawing the problem. If I draw a line from the top of her head and from her feet of the virtual image to her eyes, the highest point of the mirror would have to be 5cm above her eyes and 1,65m/2 below her eyes. Assuming this is correct (which I'm not sure of), what equations would I use to write this down? Somehow the graphical solution is all I can come up with.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are quite right. Use similar triangles.

I would approach this problem by considering the principles of optics and geometry. The key concept to consider is the angle of reflection, which states that the angle at which light reflects off a mirror is equal to the angle at which it strikes the mirror. In this case, the angle of reflection would need to be large enough for the woman to see her entire body in the mirror.

To solve for the minimum size of the mirror, we can use the equation: θ = tan^-1 (h/d), where θ is the angle of reflection, h is the height of the woman's eyes above the ground, and d is the distance from her eyes to the mirror. In order for the woman to see her entire body, the angle of reflection would need to be at least 90 degrees (assuming she is standing upright). Therefore, we can set θ = 90 degrees and solve for d to find the minimum distance from her eyes to the mirror.

To determine the height at which the mirror needs to be hung, we can use the equation: h' = h + (2d * tan θ), where h' is the height at which the mirror needs to be hung. Again, setting θ = 90 degrees, we can solve for h' to find the minimum height at which the mirror needs to be hung.

In summary, to find the minimum size of the mirror and the height at which it needs to be hung, we would use the equations θ = tan^-1 (h/d) and h' = h + (2d * tan θ) with the constraint that θ = 90 degrees. This approach takes into account the principles of optics and geometry to provide a mathematical solution to the problem.

Related to Mirror Size & Height: Solving the Puzzle

1. How does the size of a mirror affect its functionality?

The size of a mirror can greatly affect its functionality. A larger mirror provides a wider field of view, allowing for better visibility and a more accurate reflection. A smaller mirror may have limited functionality and may not provide a clear reflection of the entire body.

2. Is there a recommended height for hanging a mirror?

The recommended height for hanging a mirror depends on its purpose. For a full-length mirror, it is recommended to hang it at eye level, or approximately 5 feet above the ground. For a bathroom vanity mirror, it is recommended to hang it at a height that is comfortable for the user to see their reflection.

3. How do I determine the appropriate size of a mirror for a specific space?

To determine the appropriate size of a mirror for a specific space, measure the available wall space and consider the purpose of the mirror. For example, a bathroom vanity mirror should be slightly smaller than the width of the vanity, while a decorative mirror in a living room can be larger and cover a significant portion of the wall.

4. Can a mirror be too big or too small for a room?

Yes, a mirror can be too big or too small for a room. A mirror that is too big for a room can overwhelm the space and make it feel crowded. On the other hand, a mirror that is too small may not have the desired impact and may look out of proportion with the rest of the room.

5. Are there any design principles to consider when choosing the size and height of a mirror?

Yes, there are design principles to consider when choosing the size and height of a mirror. Mirrors can be used to create balance and symmetry in a room, so consider the size and placement of other objects in the room when choosing the size and height of a mirror. Additionally, the shape of the mirror should also be considered to complement the overall design aesthetic of the room.