Mirrors reflecting images infinitely

In summary, the person trying to resolve the problem with two mirrors in a bathroom is unsure of what can be done. One option is to change the angle of one mirror, but this does not seem to work. Another option is to remove one of the mirrors, but this may be difficult or impossible to do.
adrian99
Hi Everyone,

This is a physics problem but also an everyday home one I'm trying to resolve. In our bathroom, we have two mirrors on opposite walls (parallel walls)... because of this, they reflect images of the person between them infinitely many times - it's actually quite a bit nauseating to someone in the household. Besides the obvious solution of removing one of the mirrors, is there a way to prevent this infinite effect?

For example, slightly changing the angle of a mirror (although it may still reflect in some angles probably?) or maybe changing one of the mirrors to a mirror that is a window on one side and a mirror on the other (would light get trapped?)... or perhaps adding a mirror like that in front of one of the mirrors... Not really sure what can be done. The house is in its final stages of construction so things can be changed slightly.

Thanks!
Adrian

Science news on Phys.org
An angle between the mirrors will limit the amount of images one can see.

Remove one of the mirrors? Make them less reflective?

or maybe changing one of the mirrors to a mirror that is a window on one side and a mirror on the other
That does not exist. You can get that illusion with a semi-transparent mirror if one side of the mirror is much brighter than the other side, but it is just an illusion.

Just remove one of the mirrors. Changing the angle of one slightly will have limited effect on the number of images but may make the effect appear to move around more when the person moves.

I recall an episode of the original Batman TV show from the 60's in which Batman suspects he is being observered by someone behind a one-way mirror...

Batman picks up a small mirror and holds it up to the one-way mirror, and is able to see the guy behind the glass of the one-way mirror in the reflection of the little mirror's image in the one-way mirror.

bahamagreen said:
I recall an episode of the original Batman TV show from the 60's in which Batman suspects he is being observered by someone behind a one-way mirror...

Batman picks up a small mirror and holds it up to the one-way mirror, and is able to see the guy behind the glass of the one-way mirror in the reflection of the little mirror's image in the one-way mirror.
I did not analyze it in detail, but I doubt this would work.

An infinite bathroom? A planner's nightmare. Would you need to pay virtual rates on the extra virtual floor area?

mfb said:
I did not analyze it in detail, but I doubt this would work.

You must be correct. The image in his mirror would be the same as what he would see, looking directly, I reckon.
The only way would be for him to go up close to the mirror and use his cape over his head to exclude light from the room he's in (like a victorian photographer). Then the observer's side would be brighter and the caped crusader could see. But not very good cinema, perhaps.

Thanks for the replies... sounds like I'm basically out of luck... will probably have to remove a mirror or just live with the infinite reflections!

1. How do mirrors reflect images infinitely?

When light hits the surface of a mirror, it bounces off at the same angle it hit. This creates an image that appears to be behind the mirror, giving the illusion of infinity.

2. Can mirrors reflect images infinitely in all directions?

Technically, yes. However, the image will become smaller and less clear with each reflection, eventually becoming too small for the human eye to perceive.

3. Why does the image in a mirror appear to be the same size as the object?

This is due to the fact that the light rays coming from the object are reflected at the same angle and size, creating an image that is the same size as the object.

4. Can mirrors reflect images infinitely in a vacuum?

Yes, mirrors can reflect images infinitely in a vacuum as there is nothing to interfere with the light rays bouncing off the mirror's surface.

5. Is there a limit to how many times an image can be reflected in a series of mirrors?

In theory, there is no limit to the number of times an image can be reflected in a series of mirrors. However, as mentioned earlier, the image will become smaller and less clear with each reflection, making it practically impossible to see after a certain point.