Miscellaneous Definite Integrals

In summary: You can definitely use L'Hopital's Rule to evaluate the limit, but you don't have to. You can just divide by ε, get rid of the ε in the denominator, and then take the limit. Either method should give you the same result. In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the integral \int^{∞}_{0}\frac{sin^{2}x}{x^{2}}dx= \frac{\pi}{2} by using a semi-circular contour integral and applying L'Hopital's Rule to evaluate the limit. The conversation also mentions using a Taylor series expansion to solve the integral.
lostminty

Homework Statement

show that

[itex]\int^{∞}_{0}\frac{sin^{2}x}{x^{2}}dx= \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

consider

[itex]\oint_{C}\frac{1-e^{i2z}}{z^{2}}dz[/itex]

where C is a semi circle of radius R, about 0,0 with an indent (another semi circle) excluding 0,0.

The Attempt at a Solution

curve splits into
C1, line segment from -R to -ε
C2, semi circle z=εe θ goes from ∏ to 0
C3, line segment from ε to R
C4, semi circle z=Re θ goes from 0 to ∏

function is holomorphic in/on C. so integral =0

for C4, applying limit R > infinity integral = 0

C3. really stuck here

I sub in the value of z

to get

[itex]\int^{0}_{∏}\frac{1-e^{i2e^{iθ}}}{ε^{2}e^{2iθ}}εe^{iθ}[/itex]

but I can't take the limit ε -> 0 of this since there's an ε on the denominator

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot an ε in the exponent and a factor of i.
$$\int^0_\pi \frac{1-e^{i2\varepsilon e^{i\theta}}}{\varepsilon^2 e^{2i\theta}} i\varepsilon e^{i\theta}\,d\theta$$

vela said:
You forgot an ε in the exponent and a factor of i.
$$\int^0_\pi \frac{1-e^{i2\varepsilon e^{i\theta}}}{\varepsilon^2 e^{2i\theta}} i\varepsilon e^{i\theta}\,d\theta$$

Thank you. I was half awake when I wrote that.

I just don't know how to get that ε out from the denominator, I cannot take the limit otherwise.

Try expanding the exponential and the numerator as a series.

The teacher gave me a hint, use L'hopitals Rule, which isn't clear to be possible since i forgot to add in the limit

I'm not sure what you mean by that. In any case, either way should work. The numerator is first-order in ε. Along with the factor of ε from dz, it cancels the ε2 in the denominator, so you will get a finite result.

I mean, differentiating the top and bottom before taking the limit.

as in a taylor series?

I still have no clue what you mean.

Related to Miscellaneous Definite Integrals

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a specific interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has a lower and upper limit, which defines the interval of integration.

2. How do you solve a definite integral?

To solve a definite integral, you need to first find the antiderivative of the function being integrated. Then, plug in the upper and lower limits of integration into the antiderivative and subtract the result. The final answer is the area under the curve or the accumulation of the quantity over the specified interval.

3. What is the difference between a definite integral and an indefinite integral?

The main difference between a definite integral and an indefinite integral is that a definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives an expression or function.

4. Can all functions be integrated?

No, not all functions can be integrated. There are certain types of functions, such as trigonometric and exponential functions, that cannot be integrated using elementary functions. In these cases, more advanced techniques such as substitution or integration by parts may be needed.

5. What are some real-life applications of definite integrals?

Definite integrals have many real-life applications, such as calculating the area under a curve in physics to determine work or displacement, finding the volume of irregular shapes in engineering and architecture, and predicting population growth in economics. They are also used in fields such as biology, chemistry, and statistics to analyze data and make predictions.