Missing a Factor of 2 in a Poynting Vector Verification

In summary, there is a question about the Poynting theorem and the verification of a factor of 2. It is suggested to be careful about taking the divergence in cylindrical coordinates and a hint is given regarding the missing steps and the resulting factor of 2 when taking the divergence of a vector field with only a radial component. This explanation answers the question and resolves the issue.
the-brammo
The question reads:

A fat wire, radius a, carries a constant current I, uniformly distributed over its cross section. A narrow gap in the wire, of width w << a, forms a parallel-plate capacitor.

I have drawn a red box at the bottom of the page where the Poynting theorem is supposedly verified - however it seems to be a factor of 2 out. I am happy that the derivation for uem is correct, it must be something to do with the very last line. Could someone please point me in the right direction, excuse the pun.

Poynting.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should be careful about taking the divergence in cylindrical coordinates.

Is this a hint? I know there are some steps are missing, does a factor of two comes out when the divergence of s is taken in cylindrical coordinates?

the-brammo said:
Is this a hint? I know there are some steps are missing, does a factor of two comes out when the divergence of s is taken?

Yes, it was a hint. The divergence of a vector field with only a radial component is given by [tex] \nabla \cdot (A_s\hat{s})=\frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial s}(sA_s). [/tex]

So in your example ## A_s =s## and the divergence becomes

[tex] \nabla \cdot (s \hat{s})=\frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial s}(s^2)=2. [/tex]

Thanks so much, this answers my question perfectly.

1. What is a Poynting vector verification?

A Poynting vector verification is a process used to confirm the accuracy of the Poynting vector, which is a mathematical expression used to calculate the flow of electromagnetic energy in a given direction. It is commonly used in the field of electromagnetic theory and is an important tool in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

2. How can a factor of 2 be missing in a Poynting vector verification?

A factor of 2 can be missing in a Poynting vector verification due to a mistake in the calculation or measurement process. This can happen if the units of measurement are not properly converted or if the mathematical equations used are incorrect. It can also occur if certain assumptions are made in the calculation that do not accurately reflect the real-world scenario.

3. What are the consequences of missing a factor of 2 in a Poynting vector verification?

The consequences of missing a factor of 2 in a Poynting vector verification can vary depending on the specific situation. In some cases, it may result in an incorrect understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic fields, which can lead to faulty conclusions or incorrect predictions. In other cases, it may not have a significant impact on the overall results, but it is still important to identify and correct any errors in the verification process.

4. How can scientists prevent missing a factor of 2 in a Poynting vector verification?

To prevent missing a factor of 2 in a Poynting vector verification, scientists can follow a rigorous and systematic approach to their calculations and measurements. This may involve double-checking units of measurement, using accurate mathematical equations, and verifying assumptions made in the calculation process. It is also important to have multiple scientists review and verify the results to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any tools or techniques that can help identify a missing factor of 2 in a Poynting vector verification?

There are several tools and techniques that can be used to identify a missing factor of 2 in a Poynting vector verification. These may include using simulation software to compare results, performing sensitivity analyses on the calculation process, or conducting experiments to validate the results. Additionally, having a thorough understanding of the theory and principles behind the Poynting vector can also help identify any discrepancies in the verification process.