MIT maths for artificial intelligence

In summary, the individual wants to learn artificial intelligence and has decided to start by learning math. They began with one-variable calculus at MIT open course ware, which they found to be easy compared to other calculus resources. They are now questioning if the MIT lectures are enough for their goals or if they need to study more challenging literature. However, it is stated that learning AI requires programming and computer science skills, and a recommended book is mentioned. The individual is advised to start coding and the necessary math skills will become clear along the way. They are also asked about their current education level.
SW24
I want to learn artificial intelligence, so I decided to learn maths. I began from one-variable calculus at MIT open course ware. And these lectures seemed to me very easy, especially compared with Apostol's or Spivak's calculus.
So I want to ask is it enough MIT open course ware lectures for my goals or I should to learn maths with more hard literature.

Update.
Oh, of course i talked about 18.01, not about 18.014.
So the question is: do I need maths similar to 18.01 for learning artificial intelligence or I need more hard 18.014 like maths?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to learn artificial intelligence, math is not the right field to study. You need programming and computer science. Just get a book on the subject, e.g. M. Bishops's excellent "Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning", and code up and use the approaches discussed there in various trial tasks. The amount and kind of math you need will become clear during this process (e.g. linear algebra and nonlinear optimization). Learning good programming will be the main challenge in practice.

btw: we do not bump on this forum.

Where are you at in your education?

1. What is MIT maths for artificial intelligence?

MIT maths for artificial intelligence is a set of mathematical concepts and techniques that are used in the field of artificial intelligence, specifically for developing algorithms and models for machine learning and intelligent systems.

2. What are some examples of MIT maths used in artificial intelligence?

Some examples of MIT maths used in artificial intelligence include linear algebra, calculus, probability and statistics, and optimization. These concepts are used to develop algorithms for tasks such as pattern recognition, natural language processing, and computer vision.

3. Why is MIT maths important for artificial intelligence?

MIT maths is important for artificial intelligence because it provides the necessary tools and techniques to solve complex problems and develop efficient algorithms for intelligent systems. It also allows for better understanding and interpretation of data, which is crucial in the development of AI models.

4. Can I learn MIT maths for artificial intelligence even if I have no background in math?

Yes, you can learn MIT maths for artificial intelligence even if you have no background in math. However, it may require more effort and dedication to understand the concepts and apply them in practice. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of math concepts such as algebra and calculus before diving into MIT maths for AI.

5. How can I start learning MIT maths for artificial intelligence?

The best way to start learning MIT maths for artificial intelligence is to enroll in online courses or programs that specifically focus on this topic. You can also find resources and tutorials online or join study groups and forums to collaborate with others and learn from their experiences. It is also helpful to practice coding and implementing AI algorithms using MIT maths to improve your skills and understanding.