1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mixed Einstein tensor

1. Dec 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that [itex]G_\alpha^0= g^{00}M_{0\alpha}+ g^{0\beta}M_{\alpha\beta}[/itex] where Greek letters indicate summation over 3 space coordinates (M consists of terms involving the metric and its first derivatives; see equations below)
    Also, when Ricci tensor [itex]R_{\alpha\beta}=0[/itex], show that [itex]G_\alpha^0= g^{00}R_{0\alpha}[/itex] and [itex]G_0^\alpha= g^{0\alpha}R_{00}+ g^{\alpha\beta}R_{0\beta}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]R_{00}= -\frac{1}{2}g^{\alpha\beta}g_{\alpha\beta,00}+ M_{00}[/itex]
    [itex]R_{0\alpha}= \frac{1}{2}g^{0\beta}g_{\alpha\beta,00}+ M_{0\alpha}[/itex]
    [itex]R_{\alpha\beta}= -\frac{1}{2}g^{00}g_{\alpha\beta,00}+ M_{\alpha\beta}[/itex]
    [itex]G_{ab}= R_{ab}- \frac{1}{2}g_{ab}R[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem also includes calculations for [itex]G_0^0[/itex] and [itex]G_\alpha^\beta[/itex], but I got those correct. For [itex]G_\alpha^0[/itex], this is what I'm getting:
    [itex]g^{0a}G_{\alpha a}= g^{0a}R_{\alpha a}- \frac{1}{2}g^{0a}g_{\alpha a}R[/itex], where English letters indicate summation over time and space coordinates (4 dimensions); I'm not entirely sure when changing the tensor to covariant form that the new index should be a summation over all four dimensions, but it gave me the right answer for [itex]G_0^0[/itex] and [itex]G_\alpha^\beta[/itex].

[itex]G_\alpha^0= g^{0\beta}R_{\alpha\beta}+ g^{00}R_{\alpha0}- \frac{1}{2}\delta^0_\alpha g^{ab}R_{ab}[/itex]
    [itex]=g^{0\beta}R_{\alpha\beta}+ g^{00}R_{\alpha0}- \frac{1}{2}\delta^0_\alpha(g^{00}R_{00}+ 2g^{0\beta}R_{0\beta}+ g^{\alpha\beta}R_{\alpha\beta})[/itex]; breaking out the Ricci scalar into terms involving the metric tensor and the Ricci tensor is another spot where I'm not totally confident.

[itex]=g^{0\beta}R_{\alpha\beta}+ g^{00}R_{\alpha0}- \frac{1}{2}(g^{00}R_{\alpha0}+ 2g^{0\beta}R_{\alpha\beta}+ g^{0\beta}R_{\alpha\beta})[/itex]
    [itex]=\frac{1}{2}(g^00R_{\alpha0}- g^{0\beta}R_{\alpha\beta})[/itex]
    [itex]=\frac{1}{4}g^{00}g^{0\beta}g_{\alpha\beta,00}+ \frac{1}{2}g^{00}M_{0\alpha}+ \frac{1}{4}g^{0\beta}g^{00}g_{\alpha\beta,00}- \frac{1}{2}g^{0\beta}M_{\alpha\beta}= \frac{1}{2}g^{00}g^{0\beta}g_{\alpha\beta,00}+ \frac{1}{2}g^{00}M_{0\alpha}- \frac{1}{2}g^{0\beta}M_{\alpha\beta}[/itex]

When [itex]R_{\alpha\beta}=0[/itex], [itex]G_\alpha^0= \frac{1}{2}g^{00}R_{\alpha0}[/itex]

When I perform a similar calculation for [itex]G_0^\alpha[/itex], I come up with:
    [itex]g^{\alpha a}R_{0a}= g^{\alpha0}R_{00}+ g^{\alpha\beta}R_{0\beta}- \frac{1}{2}\delta^\alpha_0(g^{00}R_{00}+ 2g^{\beta0}R_{\beta0}+ g^{\alpha\beta}R_{\alpha\beta})[/itex]
    When [itex]R_{\alpha\beta}=0[/itex], [itex]G_0^\alpha= \frac{1}{2}g^{\alpha0}R_{00}[/itex]

Could someone check my math?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted