Can't Make Steel By Transmuting Atoms: Betting $20 On It!

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of creating steel through transmutation of carbon and oxygen atoms. The speaker believes this is not possible due to the strong electromagnetic forces in the nucleus. They also mention the use of a nuclear reactor for fission, but note that this would only result in smaller elements. It is suggested to either split the bet or ask for input from others in the forum. The speaker also asks for a correction on their knowledge of fission and fusion in modern day reactors.
bayan
Me mate says that that you can make Steal from mixing Carbon atom and Oxygen (Transmution) :eek: Basicly stuffing arround with nuclues. As far as I can remember you can't touch the nuclues as the EM forces are too strong.

How wrong is he? We made a bet of $20 :smile:

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
bayan said:
Me mate says that that you can make Steal from mixing Carbon atom and Oxygen (Transmution) :eek: Basicly stuffing arround with nuclues. As far as I can remember you can't touch the nuclues as the EM forces are too strong.

How wrong is he? We made a bet of $20 :smile:
First I think it is safe to assume you mean steel (an alloy containing mainly iron).

Transmutation could be used to create new elements (via nuclear fission). It would need a nuclear reactor. However, this would be reducing the size of the atom (so carbon-12 to two smaller elements).

I have heard of making larger elements with smaller ones but I can only assume that only (relatively) small elements can be made by fission. Steel, anyway, is an alloy and it would take a lot of carbon and oxygen to make the iron and other elements needed (unless, of course, carbon was one of the elements needed).

As far as I can see you need to split the money or ask someone else in these forums.

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. Could someone correct my knowledge of fission and fusion in modern day reactors if what I have said is incorrect. Thanks.

Your mate is incorrect. Transmuting atoms to create steel is not possible. While it is true that carbon and oxygen atoms are necessary components in the creation of steel, they cannot be simply mixed together to create this material. Steel is a complex alloy that requires a specific combination of elements, heat, and pressure to form.

Additionally, attempting to manipulate the nucleus of an atom to create steel would require an immense amount of energy and advanced technology, far beyond what is currently possible. The electromagnetic forces that hold the nucleus together are indeed very strong, making it impossible for us to manipulate them in such a way.

I would advise against making this bet, as it is based on a misconception. It is always important to fact-check and research before making claims or bets involving scientific knowledge.

1. Why can't steel be made by transmuting atoms?

Steel is a type of alloy, which means it is made up of multiple elements. Transmutation involves changing the number of protons in an atom, which ultimately results in a different element. Therefore, it is not possible to create steel through transmutation as it requires a combination of multiple elements.

2. What is the process of making steel?

The process of making steel involves combining iron with carbon and other elements, such as manganese, to create an alloy. This is typically done through a process called smelting, where iron ore is heated in a furnace with carbon-rich materials.

3. Can steel be made through nuclear reactions?

No, steel cannot be made through nuclear reactions. Nuclear reactions involve splitting or combining the nuclei of atoms, which results in the formation of new elements. However, this process does not involve the combination of multiple elements needed to create steel.

4. Is it possible to create steel in a laboratory setting?

Yes, it is possible to create small amounts of steel in a laboratory setting. However, this process is not practical or cost-effective for large-scale production. The most common method of making steel is through industrial processes in specialized facilities.

5. What happens if you try to transmute atoms to create steel?

If you try to transmute atoms in an attempt to create steel, you will not be successful. Instead, you may end up with a different element or a mixture of elements, but not steel. The process of transmutation is not capable of producing the complex combination of elements needed to create steel.