Mixing of two gasses. Find the temperature and pressure

In summary, a rigid insulated tank containing air at different pressures and temperatures in two separate rooms is brought to a uniform state after the plate separating the rooms is removed. The final pressure and temperature can be found using the ideal gas law and the equation for specific heats. In this case, the final temperature was found to be 680.5K.
Xyius

Homework Statement

A rigid insulated tank is separated into two rooms by a stiff plate. Room A of 0.5 m3 contains air at 250 kPa, 300 K and room B of 1 m3 has air at 150 kPa, 1000 K. The plate is removed and the air comes to a uniform state without any heat transfer. Find the final pressure and temperature.

Homework Equations

I am pretty sure these are the ones I am going to use.
[tex]PV=mRT[/tex]
[tex]/delta u = c_{v}/delta T[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I figured I would find the mass of each gas in their rooms first. So I just used the ideal gas law on both of them..

[tex]m=\frac{PV}{RT} \rightarrow m_{1}=1.452kg,m_{2}=0.523kg[/tex]

Therefore, at the final state the ideal gas equation is known except for T and P. I figured the equation [tex]/delta u = c_{v}/delta T[/tex] might be useful but I do not understand how I could get temperature from this. All I need is one and I can find the other via the ideal gas law.

Thanks! :]

Physics news on Phys.org
Ohh I think I have figured it out! But I will post my solution for anyone else with the same problem. :]

The internal energy lost from the hotter has, is equal to the internal energy gained from the cooler gas. Using the formula for specific heats..

[tex]C_{v1}(T_{f}-T_{i})+C_{v2}(T_{f}-T_{i})=0[/tex]

Then I just got the C values from the tables and got a final temp of 680.5K. :]

FAQ: Mixing of two gasses. Find the temperature and pressure

1. What is the process of mixing two gases?

Mixing of two gases occurs when two different gases are combined in a container. The gases will eventually mix together and become evenly distributed throughout the container. This process is governed by the laws of diffusion, which state that gases will naturally move from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration until they are evenly distributed.

2. How is the temperature affected when two gases are mixed?

When two gases are mixed, the temperature will change depending on the gases involved and the process of mixing. If the gases have different temperatures, the final temperature will be between the two initial temperatures. However, if the gases have the same initial temperature, the final temperature will remain the same.

3. What is the pressure of a mixture of two gases?

The pressure of a mixture of two gases is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each gas. The partial pressure of a gas is the pressure it would exert if it were the only gas present in the container. Therefore, the pressure of a mixture of two gases will always be greater than the pressure of either gas alone.

4. How can the temperature and pressure of a mixture of two gases be determined?

The temperature and pressure of a mixture of two gases can be determined using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and the number of gas particles, and inversely proportional to its volume. By knowing the initial temperature, pressure, and volume of each gas, the final temperature and pressure of the mixture can be calculated.

5. What factors affect the mixing of two gases?

The factors that affect the mixing of two gases include temperature, pressure, and the properties of the gases themselves (such as molecular weight and intermolecular forces). Other factors that can influence the mixing process include the size and shape of the container, the presence of barriers or obstacles, and the rate of diffusion for each gas.

Back