Mixing of two gasses. Find the temperature and pressure

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 11K views
Xyius
Messages
501
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


A rigid insulated tank is separated into two rooms by a stiff plate. Room A of 0.5 m3 contains air at 250 kPa, 300 K and room B of 1 m3 has air at 150 kPa, 1000 K. The plate is removed and the air comes to a uniform state without any heat transfer. Find the final pressure and temperature.


Homework Equations


I am pretty sure these are the ones I am going to use.
[tex]PV=mRT[/tex]
[tex]/delta u = c_{v}/delta T[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Well I figured I would find the mass of each gas in their rooms first. So I just used the ideal gas law on both of them..

[tex]m=\frac{PV}{RT} \rightarrow m_{1}=1.452kg,m_{2}=0.523kg[/tex]

Therefore, at the final state the ideal gas equation is known except for T and P. I figured the equation [tex]/delta u = c_{v}/delta T[/tex] might be useful but I do not understand how I could get temperature from this. All I need is one and I can find the other via the ideal gas law.

Thanks! :]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ohh I think I have figured it out! But I will post my solution for anyone else with the same problem. :]

The internal energy lost from the hotter has, is equal to the internal energy gained from the cooler gas. Using the formula for specific heats..

[tex]C_{v1}(T_{f}-T_{i})+C_{v2}(T_{f}-T_{i})=0[/tex]

Then I just got the C values from the tables and got a final temp of 680.5K. :]