1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses MMath vs. MPhys Theoretical Physcs

1. Apr 8, 2017 #1
    At this point I have no idea how to look at this situation, so I'm really hoping I can get a little help here.

I have an offer for Mathematical and Theoretical Physics which leads to an MMath, and eliminates all lab. I also have an offer for straight Physics, leading to MPhys with no extra theoretical approaches. These are the two choices I have to decide between for my insurance choice, and I am finding this quite difficult.

I am mostly interested in theory and I hope to go into theoretical physics as a career, and I wonder which of these two options would be most beneficial?

Any advice from experience would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think only you can decide this. Perhaps you can make a list of pros and cons and then rank them by importance.

Of course the other approach is to use darts on a target best of three. If what comes up isnt what you want then try again with best of 5 or 7 or 9... :-) in other words the random choice may help you decide.'

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/resources/learning/core-poems/detail/44272

4. Apr 9, 2017 #3
    That's just it though. I don't know what the pros and cons of each are! I have no clue where to find them either...

5. Apr 9, 2017 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Ok, how about looking at which one gives you more options academically and/or career wise.

As an example, pure math vs applied math then applied gives you more career options since few companies are interested in pure math applications.

If you really hate lab work then experimental physics is not for you.

It seems a mix of physics, math and computer experience would be the best bet career wise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted