Modeling Disease Spread: Differential Equation for Infected Individuals

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explanation
In summary: It should be y = 0.1x + C, where C is a constant that can take on any value depending on the specific solution. This means that for any value of C, the derivative dy/dx will always be constant at 0.1. Therefore, the family of curves for which dy/dx is a constant is represented by the equation y = 0.1x + C.
Natasha1
The spread of a disease in a community is modeled by the following differential equation:

dy/dx = 0.2y - 0.02x where y is the number of infected individuals in thousands, and x the time in days.

1) Show the equation that for the family of 'curves' in the x-y plane for which dy/dx is a constant, is of the form y=mx+c.

How can I do this please?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the differential equation:

y' - 0.2y = p(x)

where p(x) is some polynomial in x, and y' denotes dy/dx. Find the family of functions that solves this equation, and determine the one that has y' constant.

AKG said:
You have the differential equation:

y' - 0.2y = p(x)

where p(x) is some polynomial in x, and y' denotes dy/dx. Find the family of functions that solves this equation, and determine the one that has y' constant.

p(x) = -0.02x no?

How is this done :-(

Yes, that's correct for p(x). To find the general solution y, a function of x, to this problem, you find

i) the general solution to the related homogeneous equation y' - 0.2y = 0
ii) find anyone particular solution to the original homogenous equation
iii) add them

So finding the general solution to y' - 0.2y = 0 means finding a family of solutions to this equation. We can do it:

y' - 0.2y = 0
y' = 0.2y
dy/dx = 0.2y
dy/y = 0.2dx
lny = 0.2x + C
y = exp(0.2x + C)
y = a*exp(0.2x) [where a = eC]

So this gives a family of solutions, paramterized by a. In other words, for EACH real number a, y(x) = ae0.2x is a solution to y' - 0.2y = 0. We write yh(x) = ae0.2x, where the subscript "h" stands for "homogenous"

We now look for yp, a particular solution to the original equation:

y' - 0.2y = p(x)

Since p(x) is a degree 1 polynomial, it's a rule of thumb that we ought to guess a degree 1 polynomial for our particular solution. Well a degree 1 polynomial is just one of the form mx+b, so we let this be our guess of yp, and we sub it into see if it works, and what values of m, b we need:

If yp = mx+b, then yp' = m, so:

yp' - 0.2yp = -0.02x
m - 0.2(mx + b) = -0.02x
-0.2mx + (m - 0.2b) = -0.02x + 0

So -0.2m = -0.02 [equating coefficients of x] and m-0.2b = 0 [equating coefficients of 1]

We get m = 1/10, b = 1/2, giving yp = 0.1x + 0.5

So the general solution is y = yh + yp = ae0.2x + 0.1x + 0.5. What this means is that a function y of x is a solution to dy/dx = 0.2y - 0.02x if and only if there is some real number a such that y(x) = ae0.2x + 0.1x + 0.5. So if every solution comes in the form ae0.2x + 0.1x + 0.5, which of these have derivative constant?

y' = 0.2ae0.2x + 0.1

Well this is constant iff a = 0, correct? And a = 0 iff y = 0.1x + 0.5. So y' is constant iff y = 0.1x + 0.5 which implies that y is in the form y = mx+b.

Natasha1 said:
The spread of a disease in a community is modeled by the following differential equation:

dy/dx = 0.2y - 0.02x where y is the number of infected individuals in thousands, and x the time in days.

1) Show the equation that for the family of 'curves' in the x-y plane for which dy/dx is a constant, is of the form y=mx+c.

How can I do this please?
dy/dx is a constant, call it ''k'' let's say. Then replace dy/dx in your initial equation by k and isolate y.

Yes, do what nrqed said and totally ignore what I said. It's way more work than necessary.

AKG said:
Yes, do what nrqed said and totally ignore what I said. It's way more work than necessary.

so

0.2y = k + 0.02x

Hence

y = 0.1x + 5k is this correct?

Last edited:
Yes...

Related to Modeling Disease Spread: Differential Equation for Infected Individuals

1. What does "Need some explanation please" mean?

The phrase "Need some explanation please" is a request for further clarification or understanding on a particular topic or concept.

2. Can you provide an example of when someone might use the phrase "Need some explanation please"?

Someone might use this phrase when they are confused about a concept or procedure, and they need more information in order to fully understand it.

3. How should I respond if someone asks for an explanation?

The best way to respond to someone asking for an explanation is to provide a clear and concise explanation that addresses their specific questions or concerns.

4. Why is it important to ask for an explanation when you don't understand something?

Asking for an explanation is important because it allows for a better understanding of a topic, which can lead to more effective decision making and problem solving. It also shows a willingness to learn and improve.

5. What should I do if I am still confused after receiving an explanation?

If you are still confused after receiving an explanation, it is important to ask follow-up questions and seek additional resources or assistance. It may also be helpful to break down the information into smaller, more manageable pieces to better understand it.