Modeling epidemics - solving differential equation

In summary: In that case the DE would be ##y' = x(1+y^6)/y^5, \; y(1) = 1##, whose solution is$$y(x) = \left( 2 e^{3x^2-3}-1\right)^{1/6}.$$In summary, the student attempted to solve for y but got lost. They substituted in their (1,1) and got a different result than the one expected. They differentiated and found that the original equation pops up. They solved for y and got the answer 2x-1.
Schaus

Homework Statement

Solve for y: ##\frac {dy}{dx} = \frac {1+y^6}{xy^5}## , where y(1) = 1.
Answer ## y = \sqrt[6] {2x-1}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##\frac {dy}{dx} = \frac {1+y^6}{xy^5}##
##\frac{dy (y^5)}{1+y^6} = dx \frac {1}{x}##
u= 1+y6
##\frac {du}{y^5}=dx##
##\int \frac{1}{u}du = \int \frac {1}{x}dx##
##\ln|1+y^6| = \ln|x| + C##
The natural logs cancel out.
Substituting in my (1,1)
## 1+1^6 = 0+C##
##C=2##
This is where I'm a bit lost. I'm not sure where I messed up but I don't know how to get the 2x-1. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You lost me at the substitution. Shouldn't there be a ##\frac{1}{6}## somewhere? I also got a different result than the one you expect as an answer. Did you differentiate it? Plus ##\ln |1| = 0##, not ##1##.

Likes Schaus
Yes I definitely messed up on the ##\ln |1| = 0## but I don't understand where this ##\frac {1}{6}## is coming from.

Schaus said:
Yes I definitely messed up on the ##\ln |1| = 0## but I don't understand where this ##\frac {1}{6}## is coming from.
If ##u=1+y^6## then ##\frac{du}{dy}=6y^5##. Where did the factor go to?

Likes Schaus
Oh I see. Would the integral look like this then
##\ln |6(1+y^6)|##? Or do I put the ##\frac{1}{6}## on the outside of the natural log?

As I couldn't follow your calculation beyond the substitution I did it step by step:
##\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{u}{xy^5}## and ##y^5=\frac{1}{6}\frac{du}{dy}##. Now the ##dy## canceled out and leaves ##\frac{dx}{x}=\frac{1}{6}\frac{du}{u}##. The factor in front of the logarithm becomes an exponent in the logarithm and thus the ##6-##th root. Next I replaced ##u## and calculated the constant ##C##. The rest was some algebra. What's always a good idea in such cases, is to differentiate the result again and check whether the original equation pops up.

Likes Schaus
Sorry, I'm still a little confused. After integrating should it look like this then?
##\frac {1}{6} \int \frac {1}{u}##
##= \frac {1}{6} \ln |1+y^6| = \ln|x| + C##

Schaus said:
Sorry, I'm still a little confused. After integrating should it look like this then?
##\frac {1}{6} \int \frac {1}{u}##
##= \frac {1}{6} \ln |1+y^6| = \ln|x| + C##
Yes. Or likewise ##\ln|x| + C = \ln \sqrt[6]{1+y^6}## and ##C = \frac{1}{6} \ln (1+1^6) - \ln 1##.

Likes Schaus
I'm still not understanding how to get the answer. If ##\frac {1}{6} \ln(2)-0 = C## then C ≈ 0.1155... or at least that is what my calculator says.

Schaus said:
I'm still not understanding how to get the answer. If ##\frac {1}{6} \ln(2)-0 = C## then C ≈ 0.1155... or at least that is what my calculator says.
You don't need to calculate it. Just drop the ##\ln## as you did in your solution. It's probably more convenient to first multiply by ##6## and get ##\ln |1+y^6| = \ln 2|x|^6## and then drop the ##\ln## as you did before.

Likes Schaus
Now I got my answer I'm just curious where the highlighted 2 came from.

Schaus said:
Now I got my answer I'm just curious where the highlighted 2 came from.
The ##2## is from ##\ln 2 + \ln |x|^6 = \ln (2x^6)## or what did you mean? And it isn't your answer, it is ##y = \sqrt[6]{2x^6-1}##, not ##y = \sqrt[6]{2x-1}##. At least if I made no mistake, but I also differentiated it again.

The answer in my course is 2x-1 but it could be wrong, it is easily the worst course I've done. Thank you for all your help though.

Schaus said:
The answer in my course is 2x-1 but it could be wrong, it is easily the worst course I've done. Thank you for all your help though.
The given solution ##y(x) = \sqrt[6]{2x-1}## is incorrect: if you substitute it into the DE you will see that it does not work.

Likes Schaus
Ray Vickson said:
The given solution ##y(x) = \sqrt[6]{2x-1}## is incorrect: if you substitute it into the DE you will see that it does not work.

Unless the problem was miscopied at some stage and the x should have been in the numerator.

epenguin said:
Unless the problem was miscopied at some stage and the x should have been in the numerator.

In that case the DE would be ##y' = x(1+y^6)/y^5, \; y(1) = 1##, whose solution is
$$y(x) = \left( 2 e^{3x^2-3}-1\right)^{1/6}.$$

epenguin said:

Ray Vickson said:
In that case the DE would be ##y' = x(1+y^6)/y^5, \; y(1) = 1##, whose solution is
$$y(x) = \left( 2 e^{3x^2-3}-1\right)^{1/6}.$$

OK, OK. :oldbiggrin:
Just Unless the problem was miscopied at some stage...

1. What is the purpose of modeling epidemics?

The purpose of modeling epidemics is to better understand and predict the spread of diseases within a population. By using mathematical models and differential equations, scientists can simulate the effects of different interventions and make informed decisions about disease control and prevention.

2. What are the main components of a mathematical model for epidemics?

A mathematical model for epidemics typically includes variables for the number of susceptible, infected, and recovered individuals in a population, as well as parameters such as the transmission rate and recovery rate. These components are often represented as differential equations that describe the change in each variable over time.

3. What is the role of differential equations in modeling epidemics?

Differential equations are used to mathematically describe the relationships between different variables in a model for epidemics. By solving these equations, scientists can predict how the number of infected individuals will change over time and how interventions may affect the spread of a disease.

4. How are real-world data used in modeling epidemics?

Real-world data, such as the number of reported cases and the rate of transmission, are essential for validating and improving mathematical models for epidemics. By comparing the model predictions to actual data, scientists can adjust the parameters and assumptions of the model to better reflect the dynamics of a specific disease.

5. What are some limitations of modeling epidemics?

While mathematical models can provide valuable insights into the spread of diseases, they are not perfect representations of the real world. Models may oversimplify the complexity of a disease or fail to account for all relevant factors. Additionally, the accuracy of a model depends on the quality and availability of data, which may be limited in some cases.