1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modern Physics Text: Any suggestions?

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    If this is not the appropriate forum, I apologize. I just assume it is the forum where the people reading this will have the most insight on the matter.

I am looking to purchase a modern physics text to study at my own pace. I have a fairly good understanding of calculus and ordinary differential equations along with classical physics (at least to the extent that I have completed these courses at my college).

So far the only recommendation I have gotten has been Serway's Modern Physics. I have read some good reviews on it and also some terrible ones. In said terrible reviews, the name Tipler has come up as an alternative a few times.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your time
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2
    Modern physics is such a strange term, but I guess well recognized. Take a look at Eisberg & Resnick's Quantum Physics book. Might be good for you, might not.
  4. May 14, 2008 #3
    Sweet. Moved to the forum that absolutely nobody looks in.

Resnick looks pretty good for me. I liked his text on classical.

Any others?
  5. May 14, 2008 #4
    It's between this and Griffith's...
  6. May 14, 2008 #5
    Anyone else before I buy Resnick?
  7. May 14, 2008 #6
    We used Tipler in my class. The first couple chapters were decent, but it was all downhill from there. pretty awful book; go with Resnick.
  8. May 14, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

9. May 14, 2008 #8
    People have mixed feelings about Resnick. What do you want to learn? There's modern physics for people who might not go on to proper quantum mechanics, relativity, etc. For those I might recommend another book.

Try getting a copy from the library before you shell out money. People have mixed feelings about Eisberg/Resnick. I think it is a good book for what it aims to do, but there are people who try to pass senior QM using it, and that is not such a good idea. That said, I think it's a good deal.
  10. May 14, 2008 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I absolutely loved Eisberg and Resnick when I was an undergraduate. They take the time to explain the phyiscs and the math level is fairly basic, making it very good for self-study.

But liking a book is extremely subjective. What you should definitely do is to go to a university library and get the book. If you can't borrow it, just go sit and spend a few hours reading it. Then you will see if that's a good fit for you.
  11. May 14, 2008 #10
    You're right, this is too subjective a question. Just like all of the reviews at Amazon, everyone in this thread has different complaints and compliments on the same books.

I really liked Resnick's text on classical, so I think I will go with that.

Thanks folks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?