Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modern Physics Text: Any suggestions?

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    If this is not the appropriate forum, I apologize. I just assume it is the forum where the people reading this will have the most insight on the matter.

I am looking to purchase a modern physics text to study at my own pace. I have a fairly good understanding of calculus and ordinary differential equations along with classical physics (at least to the extent that I have completed these courses at my college).

So far the only recommendation I have gotten has been Serway's Modern Physics. I have read some good reviews on it and also some terrible ones. In said terrible reviews, the name Tipler has come up as an alternative a few times.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your time

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2
    Modern physics is such a strange term, but I guess well recognized. Take a look at Eisberg & Resnick's Quantum Physics book. Might be good for you, might not.

4. May 14, 2008 #3
    Sweet. Moved to the forum that absolutely nobody looks in.

Resnick looks pretty good for me. I liked his text on classical.

Any others?

5. May 14, 2008 #4
    It's between this and Griffith's...

6. May 14, 2008 #5
    Anyone else before I buy Resnick?

7. May 14, 2008 #6
    We used Tipler in my class. The first couple chapters were decent, but it was all downhill from there. pretty awful book; go with Resnick.

8. May 14, 2008 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

9. May 14, 2008 #8
    People have mixed feelings about Resnick. What do you want to learn? There's modern physics for people who might not go on to proper quantum mechanics, relativity, etc. For those I might recommend another book.

Try getting a copy from the library before you shell out money. People have mixed feelings about Eisberg/Resnick. I think it is a good book for what it aims to do, but there are people who try to pass senior QM using it, and that is not such a good idea. That said, I think it's a good deal.

10. May 14, 2008 #9

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I absolutely loved Eisberg and Resnick when I was an undergraduate. They take the time to explain the phyiscs and the math level is fairly basic, making it very good for self-study.

But liking a book is extremely subjective. What you should definitely do is to go to a university library and get the book. If you can't borrow it, just go sit and spend a few hours reading it. Then you will see if that's a good fit for you.

11. May 14, 2008 #10
    You're right, this is too subjective a question. Just like all of the reviews at Amazon, everyone in this thread has different complaints and compliments on the same books.

I really liked Resnick's text on classical, so I think I will go with that.

Thanks folks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook