Modification to the simple harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of perturbation theory in relation to eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator and the potential change in the size of the Hilbert space. The speaker is unsure if perturbation theory is necessary and questions if the modification affects the size of the Hilbert space. However, it is noted that the eigenstates of the original harmonic oscillator are unchanged.
jamesonWHIS
Homework Statement
The simple harmonic oscillator Hamiltonian is altered such that the p' = p + 2mcx. How does this affect the condition necessary for the matrix elements <m|x|n> and <m, x^2| n> to be nonzero, given |n> is an eigenstate of the original harmonic oscillator.
Relevant Equations
x = Sqrt(h/2mw)(a + adagger)
I was assuming there could be something via perturbation theory? I am unsure.

Physics news on Phys.org
At first glance, I don't think that perturbation theory is necessary. The ##\ket{n}## form a complete basis, even for the modified Hamiltonian.

However, I do not understand the question. "Given ##\ket{n}## is an eigenstate of the original harmonic oscillator," then ##\braket{m|\hat{x}|n}## and ##\braket{m|\hat{x}^2|n}## are unchanged, whatever the Hamiltonian is.

DrClaude said:
At first glance, I don't think that perturbation theory is necessary. The ##\ket{n}## form a complete basis, even for the modified Hamiltonian.
I would like to question this statement. How do you know such modification doesn't change the size of the Hilbert's space?

1. What is a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a system that exhibits periodic motion, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. Examples of simple harmonic oscillators include a mass on a spring and a pendulum.

2. What is a modification to the simple harmonic oscillator?

A modification to the simple harmonic oscillator is any change made to the system that affects its behavior and characteristics. This can include changes to the mass, spring constant, or damping factor.

3. How does changing the mass affect the simple harmonic oscillator?

Changing the mass of a simple harmonic oscillator affects the period of the oscillation. A larger mass will result in a longer period, while a smaller mass will result in a shorter period.

4. How does changing the spring constant affect the simple harmonic oscillator?

The spring constant affects the stiffness of the spring and therefore the force applied to the mass. A higher spring constant will result in a stronger restoring force and a shorter period, while a lower spring constant will result in a weaker restoring force and a longer period.

5. What is damping in a simple harmonic oscillator?

Damping is the process of reducing the amplitude of the oscillation over time. This can be caused by external forces such as friction or air resistance, or by internal forces such as energy dissipation within the system. Damping can be either underdamped, critically damped, or overdamped, depending on the amount of damping present.