Modify USB ZipDrive power input source - query

In summary: The other 3 lines are data+, data- and ground)Is it recommended to isolate the newly modified 5V line (to Zipdrive PS input) from the line that already goes to Zipdrive circuitry? If so, how?How can I find out if the PC can supply sufficient current thru USB port for new total load (both Zip's PS and data circuitry)?(If total current draw is an issue, Iomega may have designed their upgraded model, taking that into account).
Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have a USB Iomega zip drive (100MB) that uses both an external power supply and USB cable. Subsequent models of the same drive take power (5V) directly off the USB from the PC. I wish to modify my zip drive to make it a bus-powered device. The external PS measures +5V open circuit. The spec on the external PS transformer is 5Vdc, max 1A

Does the ZipDrive require the use of the 5V USB line to make the data read/write operations to a zipdisk? (the other 3 lines are data+, data- and ground)
Is it recommended to isolate the newly modified 5V line (to Zipdrive PS input) from the line that already goes to Zipdrive circuitry? If so, how?
How can I find out if the PC can supply sufficient current thru USB port for new total load (both Zip's PS and data circuitry)?
(If total current draw is an issue, Iomega may have designed their upgraded model, taking that into account).

glossary of selected abbreviations:
PS - power supply
Zip - Iomego zipdrive
USB - universal serial bus (original, not
2.0)

Computer science news on Phys.org
The max current draw allowed on the USB bus is 500 mA. It's quite likely that the new USB Zip drives are built with motors that draw less than this. Older ones with external power supplies probably have motors that draw more than this.

I haven't been able to locate any specs on current drawn by each of these models. I will put my model on the bench and directly measure the current drawn during read/write operations.

If it turns out that the draw is less than 500mA, are there other considerations that should be addressed, such as isolating the newly modified 5V line (to Zipdrive PS input) from the line that already goes to Zipdrive circuitry?

Does the ZipDrive require the use of the 5V USB line to make the data read/write operations to a zipdisk?

1. What is a USB ZipDrive and why would I need to modify its power input source?

A USB ZipDrive is a type of external storage device that uses USB connections to transfer data between a computer and the drive. It is typically used to store and back up large amounts of data. Modifying the power input source allows you to change the way the drive receives power, which can improve its performance or compatibility with certain devices.

2. How do I modify the power input source on a USB ZipDrive?

The specific steps to modify the power input source may vary depending on the model of your USB ZipDrive. However, in general, it involves opening the drive's casing, identifying the power source component, and making the necessary changes to the wiring or circuitry. It is recommended to consult the manufacturer's instructions or seek professional assistance to ensure the modification is done correctly and safely.

3. What are the benefits of modifying the power input source on a USB ZipDrive?

The main benefit of modifying the power input source is the ability to customize the drive's power supply to better suit your needs. This could include increasing the power output for faster data transfer speeds, or changing the power source to make it compatible with a wider range of devices. It may also help improve the overall performance and lifespan of the drive.

4. Are there any risks involved in modifying the power input source of a USB ZipDrive?

Yes, there are potential risks involved in modifying any electronic device, including a USB ZipDrive. If the modification is not done correctly, it could damage the drive or even pose a safety hazard. It may also void the manufacturer's warranty. Therefore, it is important to exercise caution and follow proper instructions when attempting to modify the power input source.

5. Is it necessary to modify the power input source of a USB ZipDrive?

No, it is not necessary to modify the power input source of a USB ZipDrive. The drive is designed to work with a standard USB power source and should function properly without any modifications. However, if you have specific needs or want to improve the drive's performance, you may choose to modify its power input source. Just be sure to do so carefully and at your own risk.