1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modulate the voltage,current and frequency of photons

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1
    Hello,
    I have come to the understanding the one form of electrical energy is electromagnetic energy.
    Suppose i have a photon stream
    (a) How do i find out the voltage and current of the photons in the stream ??
    (b)Suppose i have a photon stream whose voltage is V and current is I. If i wanted to increase the voltage of the photon stream to 2V or the current to 2I how would i go about doing that ??
    (c) How do i change the frequnecy of the photons from 1 Giga Hz for example to 50/60 Hertz ??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2013 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Photons dont travel as a stream, they travel as a electromagnetic wave made up of quantum packets of photons
    see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon

Also photons dont carry a charge, so there is no current flowing. For a current to flow there needs to be a circuit and across that circuit a potential difference ( a voltage) exists

irrelevent, read previous answer

You change the frequency of an EM wave (emission) by changing the frequency of the oscillator generating the EM emission

cheers
    Dave

4. Feb 9, 2013 #3
    Hello,
    Thank you for your reply.
    So what exactly is the difference between electromagnetic radiation and domestic household electricity ?? is it just the presence of charge carrying particles commandeered to move electromagnetic energy from one place to another ??
    People on this forum ( physics-forum:Difference between difference between electricity and electromagnetic waves
    ) have told me that household domestic electricity is not electromagnetic waves but electromagnetic energy

5. Feb 9, 2013 #4

Very simple model of household electricity: Two positively charged balls are 1 meter apart. When ball1 is moved quite slowly left and right, ball2 moves left and right.
    O <--> O

Very simple model of electromagnetic radiation: Two positively charged balls are 1000 meters apart. When ball1 is moved rapidly up and down, ball2 moves down and up.

O /\ O
    .. \/

In the first model a horizontal electric field with strength X volts/meter makes ball2 to move.

In the second model a vertical electric field with strength X volts/meter makes ball2 to move.

6. Feb 9, 2013 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Pretty much.

While the AC does oscillate, it is not what we normally define as an EM wave, also known as EM radiation.

7. Feb 9, 2013 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

BUT it does generate an EM wave ( radiation) tho :)
    any oscillating current (AC) will generate and radiate an electromagnetic field around it

Dave

8. Feb 9, 2013 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Of course. This is why higher frequency transmission cables must be shielded, otherwise they emit radiation and receive it, which results in a loss of power to the device you are transmitting to, and the introduction of electromagnetic interference, both of which are unwanted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook