1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Module choices as an undergrad

1. Dec 18, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I have what I hope is a straightforward question.

Simply put, do I need to be careful about the modules I choose to study as a physics undergrad?

Some background info to put the question in context;

I am a foundation year physics student at my university, upon successful completion of the year I am guaranteed access to any of the undergraduate programs within the department. Since members of my course have a 'privileged' position over applicants coming directly from school we have to choose which course we plan to progress to earlier than usual, I suppose so the department can sort out course spacing.

I think the UK setup is a little different from the US and how we get to 'choose' courses. There is a 'core' physics program that I will definitely be studying regardless of the choices I make. It includes maths methods, mechanics, E&M, QM Etc. But depending upon whether I do 'physics with astrophysics' or 'Physics with theoretical physics' or 'Mathematical physics' and so on, I might study 1 or 2 different modules from the other courses.

So, to link this back into my question - Since I don't know what topics I am going to end up really enjoying are these choices going to affect my opportunities later on? IE if I study 'physics with astrophysics' and study slightly different modules to those on another course, but decide my interests lie elsewhere, is it likely to cause me problems?

I hope my question is clear,

thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted