Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molecular oriented PVC

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.jmeagle.com/plastic-pipe/pvc-pipe/ultra blue.html

This is a product that I helped to develop. :approve: The expansion process is terribly tricky but we finally nailed it!!!

It always gives me a thrill to see these things hit the market.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it true that after they got your bill they had to double the price of their product?

4. Oct 24, 2007 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: No, but I wasn't nearly as popular!!!

As Integral knows, at one point I was paid to sit and watch movies in my hotel room for a week. They were stuck, and I was way behind on my movies. :biggrin: And then it still took another five weeks. But, considering that they had made no progress in the six months before I got there... I was crying all the way to the bank.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  5. Oct 24, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Pretty cool, Ivan. Props to you for pushing them along and helping to make it possible.

6. Oct 24, 2007 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Congrats on the achievement. It's always a great thing to be on the ground floor with a product (even if, at the time, it's not so fun).

I'll have to keep this material in the brain bucket.

7. Oct 24, 2007 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Similar to the way that PET is strain hardened? No doubt the crystallinity is much higher after the process. Have they tested it for slow crack growth?

8. Oct 25, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks guys. It was a pretty big deal. By the time I walked in, the plant manager, engineering director et al literally had their heads on the chopping block. The pressure doesn't get much worse.

I couldn't say. We go to the glass transition temperature and then a little, stretch and expand at precise rates using a specific tension and internal pressure, expand to a certain external pressure, maintain for a fixed time, then cool at a precise rate. The diameter, wall thickness, molecular orientation, roundness etc., all happen in one move. I can tell you that every piece of equipment was running at the absolute limit of precision possible for the technology. We barely made it - about 0.5% error max on any system.

I was not aware of any issues here. Exposure to temps greater than about 130 or 140 something degrees F can cause it to shrink back to the original size. And some chemicals can be a problem...I think acetone was one of them.

The stuff is incredibly hard and strong. One guy took a whack with a hammer expecting to break it like the regular pipe, but the pipe didn't break, and the hammer bounced back so hard that he took it in the head and nearly knocked himself out! :biggrin:

Berkeman, you will likely appreciate this: The system was so tight that we found a math error in the AB processor. It was so small that no one had ever noticed before. There was a firmware revision with my name on it. :biggrin:

One other note: Almost as soon as we got it working, the company, PW Eagle, formerly PW Pipe, was sold to a foreign company.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  9. Oct 25, 2007 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Very cool Ivan! Congratulations on a job well done!

10. Jan 2, 2008 #9
    Intersted in MOPVC Technology

Ivan, i just saw your post about MOPVC. Do you still are in connection with people of the Eagle company or you just have been contact for this problem that they have only? I work for a pipe manufacturer myself and we are strugling with this process for more than 3 month. Are you interested in share your knowlegde? Thank you and i hope i can get in touch with you. If you are interested i can go a meet you in USA...priv msg me

Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?