Molecules with dipole moments

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of a perturbation caused by a uniform electric field on a Hamiltonian that is invariant under space inversion. It is established that if the eigenstate of the Hamiltonian is non-degenerate, it will be either even or odd in each position coordinate. This means that for a perturbation given by a uniform electric field, there will be no first-order energy shift as the square of the wavefunction is even in each coordinate. However, molecules with permanent dipole moments, such as water, will experience linear energy shifts in the presence of an electric field, indicating some level of degeneracy. It is mentioned that when the electric field is below a certain magnitude, the energy shift is no longer linear due
StatusX
Homework Helper
It can be shown that if a hamiltonian is invariant under space inversion and if an eigenstate is non-degenerate, then the state is either even or odd in each position coordinate. So if there is a perturbation given by a uniform electric field, which has:

[tex]H_1 = - \vec E \cdot \left( \sum_i q_i \vec r_i \right) [/tex]

then there will be no energy shift to first order, since the square of the wavefunction is even in each coordinate, so the integral over each position coordinate will vanish, and so the expectation value of H_1 will be zero. But there are molecules with permanent dipole moments, like water, and these will have energy shifts linear in the electric field, so there must be some degeneracy.

I'm also told that if the electric field is below a certain magnitude, the shift will no longer be linear. I'm guessing this is because the degeneracy is not perfect, and once <H_1> is of the order of the splitting the degeneracy is no longer important. I'm having a hard time thinking about eigenstates of an entire molecule, and how there could be slight degeneracies. Can anyone help me understand this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I've got it. The electrons in the H2O molecule can tunnel from one H atom to another, and this introduces a small tunelling splitting (ie, between a symmetric and an antisymmetric combination of s-orbitals around each atom). Moving the electron from one H atom to another is equivalent to rotating the atom, and so the magnitude of the splitting is on the order of the rotational energy levels of the molecule (this part sounds sketchy). When the perturbation is much larger than this splitting, the states look degenerate, so there can be a dipole moment, while when the perturbation is less than the splitting, the states look non-degenerate and so the energy shift is no longer linear in the electric field. Can someone let me know if this sounds right?

I can provide a response to the content you have presented. It is true that molecules with dipole moments will experience energy shifts in the presence of an external electric field. This is because the electric field can interact with the permanent dipole moment of the molecule, causing a change in its energy.

The concept of degeneracy in this context refers to the existence of multiple energy levels with the same energy. In the absence of an external electric field, molecules with permanent dipole moments may have degenerate energy levels. This means that the energy of these levels is the same, but the wavefunctions corresponding to these levels may be different.

When an external electric field is applied, the degeneracy is lifted, and the energy levels split. However, as you have correctly pointed out, the splitting may not be linear for all electric field strengths. This is because the degeneracy is not perfect, and there may be slight differences in the energies of the degenerate levels. As the electric field strength increases, these differences become more significant, and the degeneracy is no longer important.

To understand the concept of degeneracy in molecules, it is helpful to think about the different ways in which the molecule can vibrate or rotate. Each of these modes of motion can be associated with a different energy level. In the absence of an external electric field, some of these modes may have the same energy, leading to degeneracy. However, when an electric field is present, the different modes of motion may interact differently with the field, causing a splitting of the energy levels.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of degeneracy in molecules with dipole moments and how it relates to energy shifts in the presence of an external electric field.

1. What is a molecule with a dipole moment?

A molecule with a dipole moment is a molecule that has an uneven distribution of electric charge, resulting in a positive and negative end. This is caused by differences in electronegativity between atoms within the molecule.

2. How is a dipole moment measured?

A dipole moment is measured in units of debyes (D), which is equal to 3.34 x 10^-30 coulomb-meters (C·m). It can be calculated by multiplying the distance between the positive and negative ends of the molecule by the magnitude of the charges at each end.

3. What is the significance of a molecule's dipole moment?

The dipole moment of a molecule can affect its physical and chemical properties. For example, molecules with higher dipole moments tend to have higher boiling points and are more soluble in polar solvents. It also plays a role in determining the polarity of a molecule.

4. How do molecules with dipole moments interact with each other?

Molecules with dipole moments can interact through dipole-dipole interactions, where the positive end of one molecule is attracted to the negative end of another. This can result in stronger intermolecular forces, leading to higher melting and boiling points.

5. Can molecules without polar bonds have dipole moments?

Yes, molecules without polar bonds can still have dipole moments if the individual bond dipole moments do not cancel each other out. This can occur in molecules with a non-symmetrical shape, such as carbon dioxide (CO2).