1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment-Generating functions

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given moment-generation function Msubx(t) = e^(3t+8t^2) find the moment-generating function of the random variable Z = 1/4(X-3) and use it to determine the mean and the variance of Z

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Honetly I have no idea where to begin. This is the only question I can find of this format in my book that is worded like this, and the examples in my stats book leading up to this just don't cover a question like this, it's all theorems and more basic questions. I messed up my tailbone VERY badly last week and had to miss 2 of my stats lectures which has put me in this position.

Can someone just help get me started on this and know what I need to do?

The only thing I can think of is that I have to multiply the Msubx(t) function by e^(tx) and somehow relate it to the r.v. Z?

I am so confused...not asking for someone to do this for me but could you at least get me started??

Thanks so much.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2
    Msubx(t) = e^(3t+8t^2) is the moment generation function for a normal distribution.

The moment-generating function of N(mean,sigma_squared) is
    Msubx(t)= e^(mean*t+.5*sigma_squared*t^2),

so in this case the mean is 3 and sigma_squared = 16,
    Now try finding the mu and sigma for Z based on the stats for X and then you can use them to write out the moment generation function.

Is Z=1/(4*(X-3)) or Z=.25*(X-3)? just curious.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook