Moment in a Beam: Consider Both Spans AB & BC

In summary, the slope-deflection method is used to solve for statically indeterminate beams by using deflection and rotation equations to make the beam statically determinate. In the problem, only the calculation of span AB is considered because the free end span from the free end to the nearest support can be solved by statics alone, making the indeterminate analysis of span BC unnecessary. The reason span AB is statically indeterminate is because it is fixed at A and has a settled pin support at B, resulting in 4 unknowns and only 3 equations of static equilibrium.
fonseh

Homework Statement

In this problem , why only caluclation of span AB is considered ? why the span BC isn't required ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think there's soemthing wrong with the question , We have to consider the calcilation of span BC also

Attachments

• 626.png
    626.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
The slope-deflection method is used to solve for statically indeterminate beams using deflection and rotation equations to make the beam statically determinate. The free end span from the free end to the nearest support can be solved by statics alone, so there is no need for the indeterminate analysis in this span. I haven't used this method in ages.

Likes fonseh
PhanthomJay said:
The slope-deflection method is used to solve for statically indeterminate beams using deflection and rotation equations to make the beam statically determinate. The free end span from the free end to the nearest support can be solved by statics alone, so there is no need for the indeterminate analysis in this span. I haven't used this method in ages.
sorry , i am confused now , why for span AB , it's statically indeterminate ?

fonseh said:
sorry , i am confused now , why for span AB , it's statically indeterminate ?
It is fixed at A and with a settled pin support at B. So there are 4 unknowns and just 3 equations of static equilibrium

Likes fonseh

1. What is a moment in a beam?

A moment in a beam refers to the amount of force applied to the beam at a specific point, causing it to rotate around that point.

2. How do you calculate the moment in a beam?

The moment in a beam can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation to the point of application of the force.

3. What is the difference between spans AB and BC in a beam?

The spans AB and BC refer to different sections of the beam, with AB being the first section and BC being the second section. They may have different lengths and may be subjected to different forces.

4. Can you consider both spans AB and BC at the same time?

Yes, both spans can be considered at the same time when calculating the moment in a beam. This is important in analyzing the overall stability and strength of the beam.

5. How does the moment in a beam affect its structural integrity?

The moment in a beam plays a crucial role in determining its structural integrity. Too much moment can cause the beam to fail, while a carefully calculated moment can ensure the beam's stability and durability.