1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia about z-axis in spherical coordinates

1. Apr 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use spherical coordinates to find the moment of inertia about the z-axis of a solid of uniform density bounded by the hemisphere [tex]\rho=cos\varphi[/tex], [tex]\pi/4\leq\varphi\leq\pi/2[/tex], and the cone [tex]\varphi=4[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

[tex]I_{z} = \int\int\int(x^{2}+y^{2})\rho(x, y, z) dV[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to convert that equation to cylindrical coordinates and got this (k representing density because it's uniform)

[tex]I_{z} = k \int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{\pi/2}_{\pi/4}\int^{1}_{0}\rho^2 sin^{2}\varphi*d\rho*d\varphi*d\theta[/tex]

Plugged that into my calculator and got:

[tex]\frac{k\pi(\pi+2)}{12}[/tex]

The book answer is:
    [tex]\frac{k\pi}{192}[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You mean [itex]\varphi = \pi / 4[/itex] for the cone.

That doesn't look like cylindrical coordinates to me. But then, why would you want cylindrical coordinates anyway? Assuming that the [itex]\rho^2\sin^2(\phi)[/itex]
    is the moment arm, check your spherical coordinate dV.

Aside from getting the dV wrong, using a calculator?

[Edit] Looking closer your limits for [itex]\rho[/itex] are also wrong.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  4. Apr 3, 2010 #3
    Yes, sorry, typo.

Sorry, typo, I meant spherical coordinates.

I checked and dV should be

[itex]\rho^2\sin^2(\phi)d\rho*d\varphi*d\theta[/itex]

So that should change the integral to:

[tex]I_{z} = k \int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{\pi/2}_{\pi/4}\int^{1}_{0}(\rho^2 sin^{2}\varphi)^{2}*d\rho*d\varphi*d\theta[/tex]

I usually use my calculator to check my setup, then once I know that is right, I go back and evaluate it by hand.

I'm not sure what to do for [itex]\rho[/itex], I thought since the radius of the hemisphere was 1, then [itex]\rho[/itex] would go from 0 to 1.

5. Apr 3, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The sine should not be squared.

Have you drawn a picture of the desired volume? Your sphere is not centered at the origin and its equation isn't [itex]\rho[/itex] = 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook