Moment of Inertia and two uniform disks

In summary, two disks are connected by a light inextensible string supported by a massless pulley on a frictionless axis. The string is attached to a point on the circumference of disk A and wound around the disk B like a yo-yo. Their moment of inertia does not equal 1/2mr^2 and the disks do not have uniform radial density. For each disk A and B, the following are true: I=.0254024 kgm^2, m=1 kg, r=.2m, height=1.6 m, and g=9.8 m/s^2. Which disk will reach the floor first? Disk A will reach the floor first if t=sq
BitterSuites

Homework Statement

Two uniform disks are connected by a light inextensible string supported by a massless pulley on a frictionless axis. (Very ideal LOL) The string is attached to a point on th circumference of disk A and wound around the disk B like a yo-yo.

Their moment of inertia does not equal 1/2mr^2 and the disks do not have uniform radial density.

For each disk A and B, the following are true:

I = .0254024 kgm^2
m = 1 kg
r = .2m
height = 1.6 m
g = 9.8 m/s^2

Which disk will reach the floor fit and what is the time interval for this disk to reach the floor?

Homework Equations

t = sqrt(2x/a) (Maybe?)

The Attempt at a Solution

As the spinning object would have a slower decent, object A would hit the ground first. (I think)

Past this, I'm totally lost. Anyone mind handing me a flashlight?

Physics news on Phys.org
BitterSuites said:

Homework Equations

t = sqrt(2x/a) (Maybe?)
But what's the acceleration?

The Attempt at a Solution

As the spinning object would have a slower decent, object A would hit the ground first. (I think)
What determines the acceleration of each disk? What forces act?

Doc Al said:
But what's the acceleration?

That would be gravity, correct?

Doc Al said:
What determines the acceleration of each disk? What forces act?

Disk A (the one tethered to the string) would have g pulling down and B pulling it up.
Disk B (the yo-yo) would have g pulling down, A pulling it up, and centrifugal force (though it isn't really a force, so maybe I'm wrong)

Am I stumbling the right direction?

BitterSuites said:
That would be gravity, correct?
Do you mean that a = g? No. (The acceleration would equal g if the objects were in free fall, but they're not.)
Disk A (the one tethered to the string) would have g pulling down and B pulling it up.
Disk B (the yo-yo) would have g pulling down, A pulling it up, and centrifugal force (though it isn't really a force, so maybe I'm wrong)
When analyzing the forces on A, forget about B. It's the string that pulls up on A.

I'll forget you ever said the phrase "centrifugal force". :yuck:

Again: What forces act on A? On B?

Oh no.

*tries not to be obviously deficient*

Ok, A has g pulling down and the string pulling up.
B has g pulling down, the string pulling up, and um...something else having to do with the spin? o.o Torque maybe? (Please don't make fun of me :D)

BitterSuites said:
Ok, A has g pulling down and the string pulling up.
Good. The weight acts down; the string tension acts up.
B has g pulling down, the string pulling up, and um...
The same two forces act on B.

Applying Newton's 2nd law will give you one equation.
something else having to do with the spin? o.o Torque maybe?
So far, we've just analyzed the translational motion. The same forces will create a torque on B. Analyze the torque on B and apply Newton's 2nd law for rotation.

I have the same problem. I understand Tr=Ia/r (a/r=alpha) so you get mg-T= ma and T=Ia/r^2 so you get a=mg/(m+I/r^2), but when i put that a into sqrt(2h/a) i didn't get the right answer, perhaps I'm doing something wrong

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It takes into account both the mass and distribution of mass of an object.

How is moment of inertia calculated for two uniform disks?

For two uniform disks, the moment of inertia can be calculated by adding the individual moments of inertia for each disk. This can be done using the formula I = 1/2 * MR^2, where M is the mass and R is the radius of the disk.

What factors affect the moment of inertia for two uniform disks?

The moment of inertia for two uniform disks is affected by the mass of each disk, the distance between the disks, and the shape and distribution of mass within the disks.

How does the moment of inertia change if the distance between the two disks is increased?

If the distance between the two disks is increased, the moment of inertia will also increase. This is because the farther apart the disks are, the more spread out the mass is and the more difficult it is to rotate the disks.

Why is moment of inertia important in rotational motion?

Moment of inertia is important in rotational motion because it affects an object's angular acceleration and the amount of torque needed to rotate the object. It is also used in many engineering and physics applications, such as designing rotating machinery and understanding the motion of celestial bodies.