Moment of Inertia, difference between Ixc, Ix, and Io?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 27K views
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Messages
2,548
Reaction score
1
So I understand that Ix resistance to rotation around the X axis, Ixc is resistance to rotation around the center of gravity of the shape on its X axis, and Io I was told is also resistance to rotation around the object's center of gravity. So, I'm completely confused as to the difference between Ixc and Io. Except that Io don't seem to define an axis. Can anyone help me understand it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Femme_physics said:
So I understand that Ix resistance to rotation around the X axis, Ixc is resistance to rotation around the center of gravity of the shape on its X axis, and Io I was told is also resistance to rotation around the object's center of gravity. So, I'm completely confused as to the difference between Ixc and Io. Except that Io don't seem to define an axis. Can anyone help me understand it?

I is always the moment of inertia around some axis.
The index denotes which axis is meant.
Sometimes people get creative how to denote a specific axis.

Ix for instance is around the defined x-axis, which may or may not be through the center of mass.

Ixc would be around an axis parallel to the x-axis, which is through the center of mass.

Io would be the moment of inertia around an axis through the origin. The fact that no distinction is made about which axis seems to imply that the object is symmetric in all directions around the origin, which will be its center of mass as well.
 
Last edited: