Moment of Inertia - equilateral triangle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 41K views
zwingtip
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[PLAIN]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9484/fp5.gif
to find the moment of inertia through point A

Homework Equations


[tex]I = \int{r^2dm}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Used a double integral from point A:

[tex] \displaystyle\int_{0}^{h}\displaystyle\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\rho(x^2+y^2)dxdy<br /> = \rho\displaystyle\int_{0}^{h}\(\frac{1}{12}L^3+Ly^2)dy = \rho(\frac{1}{12}L^3h+\frac{1}{3}Lh^3)[/tex]

with
[tex]h=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}L[/tex]
and
[tex]\rho=\frac{M}{\frac{1}{2}Lh}[/tex]

and ended up with [tex]I = \frac{2}{3}ML^2[/tex]

This seems too simple to be right. Help?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not correct. The integration with respect to x has to go from the left side of the triangle to the right side.


ehild
 
Attachments
  • inertia.JPG
    inertia.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 11,441
Okay, in that case, I have no idea how to integrate it. Help? I tried integrating it as a function of y and got

[tex]\frac{3\sqrt{3}}{16}ML^2[/tex]

But that doesn't seem right either.
 
[tex] <br /> \displaystyle\int_{0}^{h}\displaystyle\int_{-y/\sqrt 3}^{y/\sqrt 3}\rho(x^2+y^2)dxdy<br /> [/tex]

ehild
 
Hi,

Can anyone explain how x^2 + y^2 was obtained. I understand how to do double integral, but i am not adapt at applying it.

Delzac
 
In the moment of inertia, x^2+y^2 is r^2 (pythagorean theorem)
 
zwingtip said:
Is the answer

[tex]\frac{5}{12}ML^2[/tex]
?

I got the same result.

ehild