Moment of Inertia - equilateral triangle

In summary, the conversation is about finding the moment of inertia through point A using the formula I = \int{r^2dm}. The attempt at a solution involved using a double integral and substitution, but ultimately resulted in an incorrect answer. The correct formula for calculating the moment of inertia is \frac{5}{12}ML^2.
zwingtip

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9484/fp5.gif
to find the moment of inertia through point A

Homework Equations

[tex]I = \int{r^2dm}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Used a double integral from point A:

[tex]
\displaystyle\int_{0}^{h}\displaystyle\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\rho(x^2+y^2)dxdy
= \rho\displaystyle\int_{0}^{h}\(\frac{1}{12}L^3+Ly^2)dy = \rho(\frac{1}{12}L^3h+\frac{1}{3}Lh^3)
[/tex]

with
[tex]h=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}L[/tex]
and
[tex]\rho=\frac{M}{\frac{1}{2}Lh}[/tex]

and ended up with [tex]I = \frac{2}{3}ML^2[/tex]

This seems too simple to be right. Help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not correct. The integration with respect to x has to go from the left side of the triangle to the right side.

ehild

Attachments

• inertia.JPG
    inertia.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 11,293
Okay, in that case, I have no idea how to integrate it. Help? I tried integrating it as a function of y and got

[tex]\frac{3\sqrt{3}}{16}ML^2[/tex]

But that doesn't seem right either.

[tex]

\displaystyle\int_{0}^{h}\displaystyle\int_{-y/\sqrt 3}^{y/\sqrt 3}\rho(x^2+y^2)dxdy

[/tex]

ehild

Thanks. I'll try it.

Is the answer

[tex]\frac{5}{12}ML^2[/tex]
?

Hi,

Can anyone explain how x^2 + y^2 was obtained. I understand how to do double integral, but i am not adapt at applying it.

Delzac

In the moment of inertia, x^2+y^2 is r^2 (pythagorean theorem)

zwingtip said:
Is the answer

[tex]\frac{5}{12}ML^2[/tex]
?

I got the same result.

ehild

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is also known as the angular mass or rotational inertia.

How is moment of inertia calculated for an equilateral triangle?

The moment of inertia for an equilateral triangle can be calculated using the formula I = (mL^2)/12, where m is the mass of the triangle and L is the length of one side.

Why is the moment of inertia important?

The moment of inertia is an important concept in physics as it helps us understand how objects rotate around an axis. It is also used in various calculations involving rotational motion, such as torque and angular acceleration.

How does the moment of inertia differ for different shapes?

The moment of inertia varies for different shapes and is dependent on the distribution of mass in the object. For example, a thin rod has a different moment of inertia than a solid sphere of the same mass.

What are some real-life applications of the moment of inertia of an equilateral triangle?

The moment of inertia of an equilateral triangle can be used in the design and analysis of various structures, such as bridges and buildings. It is also important in the study of celestial bodies, as it helps us understand their rotational motion.