Moment of inertia for door hinges

In summary, the moment of inertia about the hinges of a door with a width w can be found using the formula I = M w^2/3. This can also be found in tables for the moments of inertia of homogeneous rigid objects with different geometries, such as a long thin rod with a rotation axis through the end. To better understand this concept, imagine the door as a collection of thin rods. To further explain, there are examples available that demonstrate the calculation of common moments of inertia for reference.
DanicaK
How do we find out that the moment of inertia about the hinges of a door with a width w is I=M w2/3.
I find it like this in a book and also in table for the moments of inertia of homogeneous rigid objects with different geometries (about a long thin rod with rotation axis trough end).
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you understand how the moment of inertia of the thin rod is found, then just realize that the door can be treated like a bunch of rods. (Imagine the door sliced into thin slits.)

OK, but i don't understand neither how the moment of inertia of a thin rod is found. Can you explain me please

The moment of inertia about the hinges of a door can be calculated using the formula I = Mw^2/3, where M is the mass of the door and w is its width. This formula is derived from the general formula for moment of inertia, which takes into account the distribution of mass and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. In the case of a door, the majority of the mass is concentrated along the width, which is why the width is used in the formula. This formula is also commonly used for calculating the moment of inertia for other homogeneous rigid objects with different geometries, such as a long thin rod. It is important to note that this formula assumes a uniform distribution of mass, so it may not be accurate for doors with irregular shapes or varying mass distributions. Other factors, such as the material and thickness of the door, may also affect the moment of inertia and should be taken into consideration when calculating it.

What is moment of inertia for door hinges?

Moment of inertia for door hinges is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a property that depends on the mass distribution of the object and the axis of rotation.

Why is moment of inertia important for door hinges?

Moment of inertia is important for door hinges because it affects the effort needed to open and close the door. A higher moment of inertia means more force is required to rotate the door, while a lower moment of inertia requires less force.

How is moment of inertia calculated for door hinges?

Moment of inertia for door hinges can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the door by the square of the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass of the door. This is known as the parallel axis theorem.

What factors affect the moment of inertia for door hinges?

Moment of inertia for door hinges is affected by the shape and size of the door, as well as the material it is made of. A larger and heavier door will have a higher moment of inertia compared to a smaller and lighter door.

How can moment of inertia be changed for door hinges?

The moment of inertia for door hinges can be changed by altering the distribution of mass in the door. This can be achieved by adding or removing material from certain areas of the door. Additionally, changing the axis of rotation can also affect the moment of inertia.