Moment of inertia (integration)

In summary, TT suggests using cylindrical shells with thickness dx instead of dy to solve the problem statement. Integrating the ellipse would only be 1 integral, and the radius could be found using the ready-made formula for moment of inertia of a cylinder.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

See attachment

Homework Equations

Integrating

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 16pi slug-ft^2.

Now I know your suppose to integrate it. Its in 2D, so a double integral at most, maybe a single integral? I'm not very good with integrals and their limits in finding moments of inertia, so any guidance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• question 001.jpg
    question 001.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
hi xzibition8612! :smile:

slice it into cylindrical shells of thickness dy :wink:

The ellipse is being rotated about the x-axis, according to the problem statement, which also asks you to calculate the MOI about the x-axis.

I think TT wanted to suggest trying to use cylindrical slices with thickness dx instead of dy.

you can use cylinders with thickness dx,

or cylindrical shells with thickness dy :smile:

let's keep it simple. So I slice that shape into thickness dx and then integrate it. That would only be 1 integral right? So its going to be integral of ... dx.
Now the problem is what do I integrate? What do you have to integrate to get moment of inertia? Area?

hi xzibition8612! :smile:
xzibition8612 said:
So I slice that shape into thickness dx and then integrate it. That would only be 1 integral right? So its going to be integral of ... dx.
Now the problem is what do I integrate? What do you have to integrate to get moment of inertia? Area?

no, you use the ready-made formula for moment of inertia of a cylinder … 1/2 mr2 :wink:

(if you used dy and cylindrical shells, you'd use the obvious and easy-to-remember formula for moment of inertia of a cylindrical shell … mr2)

so m=15 slug, but what is r?
And I still don't understand how you can use 1/2mr^2 on the ellipsoid and not integrate. thanks.

no, m is the mass of the cylindrical shell (or the cylinder), r is its radius, and yes do you have to integrate!

Ixx = ∫(1/2)mr2dm

I think this equation is correct. Now how do you find the radius? And you can take the r2 and (1/2) out of the integral correct?

a cylinder is 1/2 mr2

a cylindrical shell is, obviously, mr2

"m" here is the mass of the cylinder or cylindrical shell, not the whole mass

r is the distance from the x-axis, ie y, and no you can't take it outside the ∫, it isn't constant

Ixx=∫∫mr2dmdr

The limits of dm is 0 to 15 slugs. The limit of r is from -1 to 1 ft (for the range of dx). Is this correct?

Last edited:
You are not setting up the integral for the moment of inertia properly.

The density of the body is 15 slugs/cu.ft., not the total mass. The total mass of the body is its volume multiplied by the mass density.

One way to set up the integral for the elliptical body is to slice it up into a series of circular disks, each of thickness dx running along the x-axis. Each disk will have a mass of dm, which in turn, is a function of dx and the radius at the location of the disk.

Ixx=ρ∫mr2dm

Ok, now dm is a function of dx and r, but I don't see/understand that and have no idea how to expand dm into dx and r...is it a double integral?

The mass of a disk dm = ρ dV. dV = area of the disk * thickness = A dx
The attachment shows the moment of inertia of the disk, but the mass of the disk is dm rather than M from the figure.

What you want to do is add up the inertia of all of the disks along the x axis.

Attachments

• disk.pdf
    57.8 KB · Views: 487
Ixx=∫(1/2)ρR2Adx

Limits of integration from -2 to 2 ft.

Now how do you find area A and radius R? Are they of each element of the circular disk? No idea how to do this thanks.

you're slicing it into cylinders with thickness dx, so they have radius y :smile:

(if you sliced it into cylindrical shells with thickness dy, they would have radius y and height x(y) )

ok so y would have limits from -1 to 1 ft. I understand that. Problem is my equation is in terms of dx...so how would I incorporate this? A double integral?

xzibition8612 said:
ok so y would have limits from -1 to 1 ft. I understand that. Problem is my equation is in terms of dx...so how would I incorporate this? A double integral?

no, a single

your only "d" is dx …

you've sliced it with slices perpendicular to the x axis, going along the x axis

(and your integrand is already an area thingy, so that only leave one dimension, doesn't it? :wink:)

hisefsdfsdf

Last edited:

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical quantity that measures the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion. It is also referred to as rotational inertia.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by integrating the mass of each particle in an object, multiplied by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the significance of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is important in understanding how objects rotate and how much torque is needed to change their rotational motion. It also helps in designing and analyzing the performance of rotating systems, such as engines and turbines.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect moment of inertia?

The distribution of mass in an object plays a significant role in determining its moment of inertia. Objects with most of their mass concentrated near the axis of rotation have a lower moment of inertia compared to objects with mass distributed farther from the axis.

5. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The SI unit of moment of inertia is kilogram square meter (kg·m^2), while the imperial unit is pound square foot (lb·ft^2). In some cases, the units may also be expressed as mass times length squared (mass·length^2).