Moment of Inertia of a rod and two spheres

In summary, the problem involves finding the moment of inertia for a system consisting of a barbell with a long rod of mass M and length L attached to two uniform spheres, with one being hollow and the other being solid. Using the parallel axis theorem, the moment of inertia is calculated as (1/12)ML^2 + MM((L/2)^2) for the rod, and the same formula is applied for the solid sphere. The hollow sphere is ignored in the calculation. The result may vary depending on the specific values given for M and L.
QuantumKnight

Homework Statement

A barbell that consist of a long thin rod of mass M and length L is attached to two uniform spheres on each end. Both spheres have mass M and (1/3)L. The sphere on the left is hallow (spherical shell) and the sphere on the right is solid. What is the moment of inertia for the system as it rotates about an axis about the center of hallow sphere if M=1.0 kg and L = 1.0 m?

Homework Equations

I assume the parallel axis theorem since it's not rotating about the center of mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I've set up is: I = Inertia, cm = center of mass

I = Icm + MD2 = (1/12)ML2 + MM((L/2))2

This is where I am stuck. This is for the rod but I am assuming I ignore the hallow sphere and add the moment of intertia for the solid sphere. If someone could explain what's going on in this problem or the basics of how to solve moment of inertia problems. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your OP is not clear. What does (1/3)L represent?

My apologies. The spheres are 1/3rd the length of the bar. L is the length of the bar. So the length of the spheres are (1/3)L

I don't understand your attempt...it is for rod I guess...so MD^2 is not [itex]M^2(\frac{L}{2})^2[/itex] , if I understand in good way ( and (1/3)L is diameter of spheres): Just use your theorem for rod and ball on right hand side. Moment of inertia of hollow and solid ball is same. Than [itex]J=J_{leftball}+J_{rod}+J_{rightball}=...[/itex] . For instance: [itex]J_{rod}=\frac{1}{12}ML^2+MD^2[/itex] and your D is not nice [itex]D=\frac{L}{2}+\frac{L}{3*2}[/itex], when the latter term is radius of ball (axis of rotation).
The result what I tried is terrible number...try and write yours.
Hope I am right :)

I would begin by stating that moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass and distribution of the object's mass relative to its axis of rotation.

In this scenario, we are given a barbell consisting of a rod and two spheres. To calculate the moment of inertia for this system, we must first consider the individual moments of inertia for each component. The rod can be treated as a thin rod, with its moment of inertia given by I = (1/12)ML^2, where M is the mass and L is the length.

Next, we must consider the two spheres. The hallow sphere can be treated as a thin spherical shell, with its moment of inertia given by I = (2/3)MR^2, where M is the mass and R is the radius. The solid sphere can be treated as a solid sphere, with its moment of inertia given by I = (2/5)MR^2.

To calculate the moment of inertia for the entire system, we must use the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia about an axis parallel to the axis through the center of mass is equal to the moment of inertia about the center of mass plus the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the two axes.

In this case, the center of mass of the entire system is located at the center of the hallow sphere. Therefore, the moment of inertia for the system can be calculated as:

I = Irod + Ishell + Isolid = (1/12)ML^2 + (2/3)MR^2 + (2/5)MR^2 + M(L/2)^2

Substituting the given values for M and L, we get:

I = (1/12)(1.0 kg)(1.0 m)^2 + (2/3)(1.0 kg)(0.5 m)^2 + (2/5)(1.0 kg)(0.5 m)^2 + (1.0 kg)(0.5 m)^2

I = 0.083 kgm^2

Therefore, the moment of inertia for the system as it rotates about an axis through the center of the hallow sphere is 0.083 kgm^2.

Related to Moment of Inertia of a rod and two spheres

1. What is the moment of inertia of a rod and two spheres?

The moment of inertia of a rod and two spheres is a measure of the object's resistance to rotational motion. It takes into account the mass distribution and shape of the object.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated for a rod and two spheres?

The moment of inertia for a rod and two spheres can be calculated using the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of an object is equal to the moment of inertia of the object's center of mass plus the product of the mass of the object and the square of the distance between the object's center of mass and the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a rod and two spheres?

The moment of inertia of a rod and two spheres is affected by the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the object. The mass and shape determine the object's overall resistance to rotation, while the distribution of mass determines how that resistance is distributed throughout the object.

4. How is the moment of inertia of a rod and two spheres different from that of a single sphere?

The moment of inertia of a rod and two spheres will generally be larger than that of a single sphere due to the added mass and shape complexity. Additionally, the distribution of mass in a rod and two spheres is usually more spread out, resulting in a larger moment of inertia compared to a single sphere with a more concentrated mass distribution.

5. Why is the moment of inertia of a rod and two spheres important?

The moment of inertia of a rod and two spheres is important because it is a crucial parameter in rotational motion and can help predict how an object will behave when subjected to a torque or rotational force. It is also used in various engineering and physics calculations, such as determining the angular acceleration of an object.