Calculating Rotational Parameters of a Rotating Sphere

In summary: Kinetic energy is not the only factor that needs to be accounted for when doing rotational analysis.In summary, a sphere of mass 10 kg and radius 10 cm rotates at a speed of 465.1m/s. When a force of 100N is applied for 10 seconds, the sphere slows down by 250 rad/s.
mistermangos
Hello everyone, I have been working on a problem and I am having a hard time figuring out if this is the right answer.

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of mass 10 kg and radius 10 cm is rotating about its axis.

A. Find its moment of inertia

B. What is the kinetic energy of the sphere if it has an angular velocity of 10 revolutions per minute?

C. A tangential force of 100N is applied for 10 seconds. How much will the sphere slow down if it starts with the same angular velocity as part B?

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia of solid sphere = I = [itex]\frac{2}{5}[/itex]*MR^2

Rotational Kinetic Energy = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]I[itex]\omega[/itex]^2

The Attempt at a Solution

A. I = 2/5 (10)(.1)^2 = 2/50 = .04 kg [itex]\bullet[/itex] m^2

B. [itex]\frac{10}{60}[/itex] rev/s = [itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex] rev/s = [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex]

Rot. Ke = 1/2 (.04)([itex]\pi[/itex]/3)^2 = .0219 J

C. A tangential force is applied, so the equivalent torque is [itex]\tau[/itex] = Fr = (100)(.1) = 10

[itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex], so [itex]\alpha[/itex] = 10/.04 = -250 rad/sec^2 (negative because it has a clockwise direction I guess, since its asking for the slowdown)

[itex]\omega[/itex](t) = w[itex]_{0}[/itex] + [itex]\alpha[/itex]t

[itex]\omega[/itex](10) = [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex] + (-250)(10)[itex]\omega[/itex](10) = -2498.95 rad/sec, or -397.72 rev/sec

seems a little fast for me... any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to Physics Forums!

All of your work looks correct to me. I agree that the numbers work out to be a little odd in part C. But unless I'm overlooking something, you got the right answer.

Maybe someone else will check it, too.

Welcome to PF;
seems a little fast for me..
What are you comparing it to?Hmmm ... if I've got this right: the ball has a density of 2387.3kg/m^3 ... about as dense as graphite. So it should be pretty easy to set it spinning compared with, say, the same size ball of steel or lead.

How would you apply a 100N force to it? Well:
Wrap string around it and tie another one of those balls to the other end, drop the ball, you get a couple of Newtons less force ... for 10secs, that's like dropping the weight 50m (actually a bit less). A free-falling ball dropped that far would be going at v=at=98m/s when it hit... that would translate into w=v/r=980rad/s as a lower-bound for the additional speed (since some of the gravitational PE goes to rotation).

2500 rad/s is faster ...
So we expect fast. We'd expect about twice as fast because the example involves twice the mass (remember all those falling object fbds you did?)
Can you think of anything else to use as a reality check?

There are some interesting figures in there ... pi/3 is approximately 1, MR=1 FR=10, FT=1000 ... all "nice" numbers.

##\tau = -FR = I\alpha = \frac{2}{5}MR^2(\omega - \omega_0)/T##
$$\Rightarrow \omega = \omega_0 - \frac{5}{2}\frac{FT}{MR}$$
... so $$\omega \approx 1 - \frac{2}{5}\frac{1000}{1} = 1-2500=-2499\text{rad/s}$$

Last edited:
thank you guys very much for the help!

for the poster above, in my recent memory i don't recall ever seeing an object or a problem where something rotates at a speed of almost 400 revolutions per second... using v = rw, v = 25000, its going about 73 times the speed of sound! (at the surface, at least)

Well 465.1m/s is the surface tangential speed of the Earth.
at v=rw, v=2500rad/s x0.1m = 250m/s ... somewhat lower than the speed of sound.

Notice that the rotational KE is very small to get this?
I suspect that's the lesson.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a rigid body that measures its resistance to rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, but instead of measuring an object's resistance to translational motion, it measures its resistance to rotational motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a sphere?

The moment of inertia of a sphere can be calculated using the formula I = (2/5)mr^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius. This formula assumes that the sphere is a homogeneous, solid object.

3. What affects the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The moment of inertia of a sphere is affected by both its mass and its radius. A larger mass or radius will result in a larger moment of inertia, while a smaller mass or radius will result in a smaller moment of inertia.

4. What is the significance of moment of inertia in physics?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand how objects behave when they are rotating. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as designing machines and calculating the stability of structures.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a sphere be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a sphere can be changed by altering its mass or radius. For example, if the mass of a sphere is increased, its moment of inertia will also increase. Additionally, the moment of inertia of a sphere can be changed by changing its shape or distribution of mass.