Calculating the Moment of Inertia of the Sun for Determining Rotational Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rotational energy of the sun and a possible alternative formula for calculating the moment of inertia. It is mentioned that the sun's core has a higher mass but smaller volume, making it a poor model for a uniform density sphere. An empirical value for I/MR2 is suggested as a more accurate measure.
AndersLau
I want to find the rotational energy of the sun.
Erot=1/2*I*ω2

m=1.9891*10^30 kg
r=6.955*10^5 km

When I am using the formula for a sphere's moment of inertia: I=2/5*m*r2
I'm getting 3.848671797*1047 km*m2

Can i find the moment of inertia in another way? the moment of inertia needs to be in *1046 , to get the rotational energy right.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
A uniform density sphere is a fairly bad model even for the earth, which is more or less solid. For a gas it is an incredibly lousy model. The sun's core contains about half of the total mass of the sun but only 1.5% of its total volume.

Unless you want to get into astrophysics, you are going to need an empirical value. From http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/factsheet/sunfact.html, I/MR2 for the sun is 0.059. Compare that for a uniform density sphere, where I/MR2=2/5 or 0.4.

Thank you very much for the answer, that sorts it out. Much appreciated.
I'm waiting with the astrophysics :)

What is the moment of inertia of the sun?

The moment of inertia of the sun is a measure of its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the mass distribution and shape of the sun.

How is the moment of inertia of the sun calculated?

The moment of inertia of the sun can be calculated by summing up the products of each mass element in the sun with its distance squared from the axis of rotation. This calculation can be quite complex due to the irregular shape and varying density of the sun.

Why is the moment of inertia of the sun important?

The moment of inertia of the sun is important because it affects the rate of rotation and stability of the sun. It also plays a role in the dynamics of the solar system as a whole.

How does the moment of inertia of the sun compare to other celestial bodies?

The moment of inertia of the sun is much larger than other celestial bodies in the solar system due to its larger mass and size. However, it is smaller than other massive stars in our galaxy.

Can the moment of inertia of the sun change over time?

Yes, the moment of inertia of the sun can change over time due to various factors such as changes in the distribution of mass, tidal forces, and collisions with other objects. However, these changes are relatively small and do not significantly impact the overall rotational dynamics of the sun.