How Does Tension Affect Acceleration in a Falling Cylinder?

In summary, the cylinder experiences a net force that is equal to the torque applied about the central axis of the cylinder, which is inversely proportional to the angular acceleration of the cylinder.
bluejay
one end of a weightless rope is tied to the ceiling of a building and the other end is wrapped around a uniform solid cylinder that has a radius R and mass M. The cylinder is then released and falls toward the floor. The moment of inertia of a solid cylinder about an axis through its center of mass is: I=0.5MR^2
a. find the tension T in the string?
b. what is the acceleration of M?

Homework Statement

I=0.5MR^2

Homework Equations

T-mg=-ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bluejay said:

Homework Statement

I=0.5MR^2

Homework Equations

T-mg=-ma

You have a start with this, in that you have an equation for the net force on the cylinder as it falls. But this by itself won't get us far because we also need to look at where on the cylinder the forces are acting: this is necessary because the cylinder is rotating as it falls, so there is an additional relationship between T and mg that we will be able to find that will let us solve for all the quantities.

Where do we treat the weight mg as acting on the body of the cylinder? How does the tension T in the string act on the cylinder, and where?

I have no idea.

You are going to need to review how torques are worked out, because that is the only way you'll be able to solve problems involving rotation.

The linear acceleration a applies to the center of the cylinder; the weight force mg effectively acts there. Since the string is wound around the cylinder, the tension acts along a tangent to the cylinder, so the force T is acting at a distance R (the radius of the cylinder) from the center, about which the cylinder will rotate. The tangent to the cylinder is perpendicular to the radius, so the tension T acts at right angle to that radius. So what torque is the tension applying about the central axis of the cylinder? How does this torque relate to the angular acceleration of the cylinder? (That is where we are going to connect up to the force equation you already wrote.)

Never mind i got it. Thanks

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass distribution of the object and the axis of rotation.

2. How do you calculate moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia can be calculated by summing the products of each infinitesimal mass element and its squared distance from the axis of rotation. This can be represented by the formula I = ∫r²dm, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and dm is the infinitesimal mass element.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The SI unit of moment of inertia is kilogram square meter (kg·m²). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as gram square centimeter (g·cm²) or pound square foot (lb·ft²).

4. How does moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The larger the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is for an object to rotate. This means that objects with larger moments of inertia will require more force to accelerate their rotational motion compared to objects with smaller moments of inertia.

5. What are some real-life applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is important in many fields such as engineering, physics, and even sports. It is used in designing machines and structures that involve rotational motion, such as bicycles and cars. It is also crucial in understanding the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars.