1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia problem

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform beam of mass m = 0.6 kg and length L = 0.3 m can rotate about an axle through its center. Four forces are acting on it as shown in the figure. Their magnitudes are F1 = 1.5 N, F2 = 1.5 N, F3 = 1.5 N and F4 = 1.5 N. F2 acts a distance d = 0.12 m from the center of mass.

oxnartum.fa1.PNG

What is the angular acceleration?

2. Relevant equations

I = Ʃmr^2
    I = ∫(r^2)dm
    α = Ʃτ/I

3. The attempt at a solution

I = (0.6 kg)(0.15 m)^2 +(0.6 kg)(0.12 m)^2 + (.6 kg)(0.15)^2 = 0.03564 kgm^2

Ʃτ = 0.225 + 0.127 = 0.352 Nm

α = 0.352/0.03564 = 9.88 rad/s^2

This is apparently the wrong answer and I don't know where I messed up. [STRIKE][/STRIKE]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2
  4. Nov 6, 2012 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That formula is for an aggregate of point masses. For a continuous distribution of mass through a body, such as a solid bar, you need the integral formula below (or off-the-shelf solutions to it).

5. Nov 6, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Bishop556! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    The moment of inertia is a property of the body only

it is completely independent of the forces acting on it, or of their positions. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook