Moment of Inertia of Rod About Axis XX': ML2/3sin2α

In summary, the problem statement involves finding the moment of inertia of a rod about an axis XX' at an angle α, using the equation I=ML2/3. After some discussion, the answer is determined to be ML2/3sin2α, with the hint that an integral should be set up. It is clarified that the distance of interest is from the XX' axis to the points on the rod, not the distance along the axis itself.
Aditya1998
1. The problem statementα, all variables and given/known data

The moment of inertia of a Rod over an
Axis XX' passing through the center of mass of the Rod at an angle α is-

Homework Equations

Moment of Inertia of Rod about the end, I =ML2/3

The Attempt at a Solution

I=ML2/3
Answer of the question is ML2/3sin2α

I didn't understood how sin2 came because even if we shift OL over the axis XX' then

OX=OLcosα

[/B]

Attachments

• _20151121_160521.JPG
    _20151121_160521.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 363
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Set up an integral.

Aditya1998 said:
I didn't understood how sin2 came because even if we shift OL over the axis XX' then
OX=OLcosα
The distance along the axis, OX, does not affect moments about the axis. The distance of interest is from the XX' axis to the points on the rod.

What is Moment of Inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a rigid body that quantifies its resistance to rotational motion around a specific axis.

How is Moment of Inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a rod about an axis XX can be calculated using the formula ML2/3sin2α, where M is the mass of the rod, L is the length of the rod, and α is the angle between the rod and the axis of rotation.

What is the significance of the Moment of Inertia?

The moment of inertia is an important concept in rotational dynamics as it determines the amount of torque required to produce a given angular acceleration in a rotating body. It also plays a crucial role in calculating the kinetic energy and angular momentum of a rotating object.

How does the Moment of Inertia of a rod change with respect to its axis of rotation?

The moment of inertia of a rod changes depending on the axis of rotation. For a given mass and length, the moment of inertia is lowest when the axis of rotation is through the center of mass of the rod, and highest when the axis is perpendicular to the rod.

What are some real-life examples of Moment of Inertia?

Some examples of the moment of inertia in everyday life include the rotation of a bicycle wheel, a spinning top, and a pendulum. It is also an important factor in the design and functioning of various machines and mechanical systems.