1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moments of inertia by integration

1. Jan 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A mass distribution in the positive x region of the xy-plane and in the shape of a semicircle of radius a, centred on the origin, has mass per unit area k. Find, using plane polar coordinates, its moments of inertia about the x and y axes.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that I=∫r^2.dm
    dm=k.dA=k.r.dr.dθ in polar coordinates.
    So I=k∫dθ∫r^3.dr
    But I'm not sure about the limits, or how to differentiate between the moments of inertia about the x and y axes.

Any help would be brilliant.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

For the moment of inertia about the x-axis, the "r" in your formula for I is the y-coordinate, and not the polar distance to the origin.

Same thing for the moment of inertia about the y-axis, where "r" is the absolute value of the x-coordinate.

4. Jan 23, 2012 #3

A.V

For a planar object which lies in the x − y plane, Ix = ∫ x^2dm and Iy = ∫ y^2dm and according to perpendicular axis theorem , Iz = ∫ (x^2 + y^2)dm = ∫ r^2dm is the rotational inertia around the z axis and r is the distance from the z axis.
    In that case r changes from 0 to a and since the disk is semicircular , θ will change from 0 to Pi .

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  5. Jan 23, 2012 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

I think you mean Ix = ∫ y^2dm and Iy = ∫ x^2dm.

6. Jan 27, 2012 #5
    Oh, I see. I wrote rcosθ instead of r for the moment of inertia around the x axis, and rsinθ for the y axis, and got the right answers.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook