Moments of inertia by integration

In summary, the problem involves finding the moments of inertia about the x and y axes of a mass distribution in the shape of a semicircle with radius a and mass per unit area k. The formula used is I=∫r^2.dm in polar coordinates. The limits of integration are 0 to a for r and 0 to π for θ. The moments of inertia about the x and y axes are given by Ix = ∫ y^2dm and Iy = ∫ x^2dm, respectively. The perpendicular axis theorem can also be used to find the moment of inertia around the z axis.
Lucy Yeats

Homework Statement

A mass distribution in the positive x region of the xy-plane and in the shape of a semicircle of radius a, centred on the origin, has mass per unit area k. Find, using plane polar coordinates, its moments of inertia about the x and y axes.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I=∫r^2.dm
dm=k.dA=k.r.dr.dθ in polar coordinates.
So I=k∫dθ∫r^3.dr
But I'm not sure about the limits, or how to differentiate between the moments of inertia about the x and y axes.

Any help would be brilliant.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the moment of inertia about the x-axis, the "r" in your formula for I is the y-coordinate, and not the polar distance to the origin.

Same thing for the moment of inertia about the y-axis, where "r" is the absolute value of the x-coordinate.

For a planar object which lies in the x − y plane, Ix = ∫ x^2dm and Iy = ∫ y^2dm and according to perpendicular axis theorem , Iz = ∫ (x^2 + y^2)dm = ∫ r^2dm is the rotational inertia around the z axis and r is the distance from the z axis.
In that case r changes from 0 to a and since the disk is semicircular , θ will change from 0 to Pi .

Last edited:
A.V said:
For a planar object which lies in the x − y plane, Ix = ∫ x^2dm and Iy = ∫ y^2dm

I think you mean Ix = ∫ y^2dm and Iy = ∫ x^2dm.

Oh, I see. I wrote rcosθ instead of r for the moment of inertia around the x axis, and rsinθ for the y axis, and got the right answers.

Thanks!

1. What is the concept of moments of inertia by integration?

Moments of inertia by integration is a method used to calculate the moment of inertia of an object by dividing it into infinitesimally small segments and integrating the contributions of each segment to the overall moment of inertia.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated using this method?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of each segment by its distance squared from the axis of rotation, and then integrating these values over the entire object.

3. What is the significance of moments of inertia by integration in physics?

Moments of inertia by integration is a crucial concept in physics because it helps us understand the rotational motion of objects. It is used to calculate the angular momentum, angular velocity, and angular acceleration of an object.

4. Can moments of inertia by integration be applied to all types of objects?

Yes, this method can be applied to any type of object, regardless of its shape or size. However, the calculations may become more complex for irregularly shaped objects.

5. Are there any limitations to using moments of inertia by integration?

One limitation is that it assumes the object is rigid and has a constant mass density. It also does not take into account the distribution of mass within the object, which may affect the accuracy of the calculated moment of inertia.