Solving a Physics Question: Wheel Mass 15kg, Radius 1m, Step 0.4m

• Thread starter lionely
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, the question asks for the initial force needed to turn a wheel with a mass of 15kg and radius of 1m over a step 0.4m high. As the wheel rises, the required horizontal force decreases. It is important to note that this question is the last part of a longer question and may involve using a triangle and multiplying 0.8m by 150N.
lionely
I have no idea how to attempt this question, please help me. Anyone.

The question : The diagram shows a wheel whose mass is 15kg and radius 1m being pulled by a horizontal force F against a step 0.4m high. What inital force is just sufficient to turn the wheel so that it will rise over the step? What happens to the size of this horizontal force as the wheel rises?

20qkf1z.png

This question is the last part of a long question, I did all the other parts. Can someone just break this down?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does this get you started, did I make any mistakes?

Attachments

• aaaaa108.jpg
    aaaaa108.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 617
Omg I knew IT! I should of made a triangle my father was trying to help me but he didn't listen!

I thank you so much, the .8m will be multiplied by the 150N

Sure, I can help you with this question. First, let's break down the information given to us. We have a wheel with a mass of 15kg and a radius of 1m. It is being pulled by a horizontal force F against a step that is 0.4m high. The question is asking us to find the initial force needed to turn the wheel so that it can rise over the step, and what happens to the size of this force as the wheel rises.

To solve this question, we need to use the principles of rotational motion and work. The initial force needed to turn the wheel can be calculated using the equation F = mgR, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2), and R is the radius. Plugging in the values given to us, we get F = (15kg)(9.8m/s^2)(1m) = 147N. This is the minimum force needed to overcome the weight of the wheel and lift it over the step.

As the wheel starts to rise, the force needed to keep it in motion will decrease. This is because as the wheel moves up the step, it gains potential energy and loses kinetic energy. This decrease in kinetic energy means that less force is needed to keep it in motion. However, the exact change in the size of the force will depend on the angle at which the wheel is pulled and the friction between the wheel and the ground.

I hope this helps to break down the question for you. Remember to always use the relevant equations and principles when solving physics questions. Good luck!

Related to Solving a Physics Question: Wheel Mass 15kg, Radius 1m, Step 0.4m

1. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a wheel with a given mass and radius?

To calculate the moment of inertia for a wheel, you can use the formula I = mr^2, where m is the mass of the wheel and r is the radius. In this case, the moment of inertia would be 15kg x (1m)^2 = 15kgm^2.

2. What is the angular acceleration of the wheel when a force of 10N is applied at a distance of 0.4m from the center?

To find the angular acceleration, you can use the formula α = τ/I, where τ is the torque and I is the moment of inertia. In this case, the torque would be 10N x 0.4m = 4Nm. So, the angular acceleration would be 4Nm/15kgm^2 = 0.27 rad/s^2.

3. How can you determine the linear velocity of a point on the rim of the wheel?

The linear velocity of a point on the rim of the wheel can be found using the formula v = ωr, where ω is the angular velocity and r is the radius. If the wheel is rolling without slipping, the linear velocity at any point on the rim would be the same as the tangential velocity.

4. Is there a difference in the moment of inertia for rolling vs. sliding motion of a wheel?

Yes, there is a difference in the moment of inertia for rolling vs. sliding motion of a wheel. The moment of inertia for rolling motion is higher because the entire mass of the wheel is rotating, whereas for sliding motion, only a small portion of the wheel's mass is rotating.

5. How does the step size affect the rotational motion of the wheel?

The step size has no effect on the rotational motion of the wheel. The rotational motion is determined by the moment of inertia, torque, and angular acceleration, which do not depend on the step size. The step size only affects the linear motion of the wheel.