Solving Momentum & Conservation of Energy for Elastic Collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a blue puck with a known mass and velocity collides with a red puck at rest on a frictionless table. The blue puck's velocity after the collision is given, and the goal is to find the red puck's velocity and mass. Using the given information and equations, the correct answers were found to be a velocity of 0.25 m/s for the red puck and a mass of 0.024 kg.
pat666

Homework Statement

1. A blue puck with a mass of 0.0400 kg, sliding with a velocity of magnitude 0.200 ms-1 on a frictionless horizontal table, makes a perfectly elastic, head-on collision with a red puck with mass, m, initially at rest. After the collision, the velocity of the blue puck is 0.050 ms¯¹ in the same direction as its initial velocity.
Find: a) the velocity (magnitude and direction) of the red puck after the collision
and b) the mass, m, of the red puck.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so can someone please do this, i have and i got v=0.25m/s and m=0.024kg

I know that this is meant to help and not give answers but i did it myself and just need some confirmation on the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
The result is correct.

ehild

Thankyou

1. What is momentum and conservation of energy in an elastic collision?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. Conservation of energy refers to the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved.

2. How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the masses of the objects multiplied by their velocities remains the same before and after the collision.

3. What is an example of an elastic collision?

An example of an elastic collision is two billiard balls colliding on a pool table. In this scenario, the total momentum and kinetic energy of the balls before and after the collision will be the same, assuming there is no external force acting on them.

4. How do you calculate the final velocities of objects in an elastic collision?

To calculate the final velocities of objects in an elastic collision, you can use the equations of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision.

5. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, meaning there is no loss of energy during the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, resulting in a loss of energy. This means that momentum is conserved, but kinetic energy is not.