How to Solve Momentum & KE Equation 9.21

• Thread starter xtrubambinoxpr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, to calculate momentum in Equation 9.21, you need to multiply the mass of the object by its velocity, and to calculate kinetic energy, you need to square the velocity and multiply it by half of the mass. The units for momentum and kinetic energy are typically kg*m/s and joules, respectively, but it is important to use consistent units throughout the equation. Both mass and velocity have a direct relationship with momentum and kinetic energy, with mass having a greater impact. Momentum is a vector quantity while kinetic energy is a scalar quantity. Equation 9.21 can be used for all types of objects, but it assumes the object is in a vacuum with no external forces acting upon it.
xtrubambinoxpr

Homework Statement

Can someone show me how equation 9.21 was derived?? I messed up on my calculations

Homework Equations

Pi=Pf
Ki=Kf

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where i went wrong in terms of substituting 2 unknowns

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 12.48.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 12.48.18 AM.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply 9.20 by m1 and add 9.16. The v1f term disappears allowing you to solve for v2f. Similarly for solving for v1f.

Related to How to Solve Momentum & KE Equation 9.21

1. How do I calculate momentum and kinetic energy in Equation 9.21?

To calculate momentum in Equation 9.21, you need to multiply the mass of the object by its velocity. To calculate kinetic energy, you need to square the velocity and multiply it by half of the mass. The full equation is p = mv and KE = 1/2mv^2.

2. What units should I use for momentum and kinetic energy?

Momentum is typically measured in kg*m/s, while kinetic energy is measured in joules. However, it is important to use consistent units throughout the equation.

3. How does the mass and velocity affect momentum and kinetic energy?

The mass has a direct relationship with both momentum and kinetic energy, meaning that as mass increases, so does momentum and kinetic energy. Velocity, on the other hand, has a squared relationship with kinetic energy, meaning that as velocity increases, kinetic energy increases at a faster rate.

4. What is the difference between momentum and kinetic energy?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, while kinetic energy is a measure of an object's energy due to its motion. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while kinetic energy is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.

5. Can I use Equation 9.21 for all types of objects?

Yes, Equation 9.21 can be used for any type of object, as long as its mass and velocity are known. However, it is important to note that this equation assumes the object is in a vacuum with no external forces acting upon it.