Calculating Post-Collision Velocities Using Momentum and Energy Formulas

In summary, Astronuc explains that two equations need to be solved to find the velocities of the objects after the collision. One equation is for momentum, and the other is for energy. The two equations are combined to solve for the velocities. Mass does not matter in this equation, only the difference in mass between the two objects.
beanryu
Please help me!
I have been thinking on this problem

A car of mass 450kg travels east at 4.5m/s, and collides with a 550kg truck infront of it traveling east at 3.7m/s. What are their velocity after the elastic collision.

I know the energy formula and the momentum formula, and I know that when the energy formula is divided by the momentum formula, it came out that:

V1-V2=V'2-V'1
the ' sign means prime/final

But I can't figure it out anyway... due to my stupidity... because V'2 and V'1 is unknown.
Would anyone help me? If so, please explain to me how you would do it using the energy and momentum formula.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of momentum

[tex]m_1v_1 + m_2v_2 = m_1v'_1 +m_2v'_2[/tex]

Conservation of energy
[tex]m_1{v_1}^2 + m_2{v_2}^2 = m_1{v'_1}^2 +m_2{v'_2}^2[/tex]

2 equations, 2 unkowns.

But there must be answer since its my textbook problem...

beanryu said:
But there must be answer since its my textbook problem...
Of course there's an answer. Just solve those two equations that Astronuc provided.

HOW you solve it?
V'2 and V'1 is unknown...

I found a link http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/py105.html where it has a similar problem situation under momentum and collision section in the Energy and Momentum section, but it didn't clear explain how to do it... can somobody help me!...

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Conservation of momentum

[tex]m_1v_1 + m_2v_2 = m_1v'_1 +m_2v'_2[/tex]

Conservation of energy
[tex]m_1{v_1}^2 + m_2{v_2}^2 = m_1{v'_1}^2 +m_2{v'_2}^2[/tex]

2 equations, 2 unkowns.

[tex]1/2{m_1}{v_1}^2 + 1/2{m_2}{v_2}^2 = 1/2{m_1}{v'_1}^2 +1/2{m_2}{v'_2}^2[/tex]
Conservation of KE has a coefficient of 1/2.

Also just a hint, In an elastic collision the relative speeds of the two objects will be the same before and after the collision. Just opposite directions. :p And mass does not matter, unless your dealing with objects of considerable mass difference.

beanryu said:
HOW you solve it?
V'2 and V'1 is unknown...
Sure [itex]v'_1[/itex] and [itex]v'_2[/itex] are unknown--they are what you are trying to find. Luckily everything else is known and you have two equations.

One way to solve the problem is to solve the two conservation equations together (as Astronuc was suggesting). In the momentum equation, solve for [itex]v'_2[/itex] in terms of [itex]v'_1[/itex]. Then plug that into the second equation and solve the quadratic for [itex]v'_1[/itex]. It's a bit tedious, but you can do it.

An easier way is to make use of that equation for relative speeds that you posted: [itex]v_1 - v_2 = v'_2 - v'_1[/itex]. (This is what Tjl was suggesting, but you already knew it.) Combine that equation with the conservation of momentum equation. Two equations and two unknowns again, but no quadratic this time.

Last edited:
thanx alot! Now I m enlightened by you people thanks aloT!

THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
actually my teacher went over this... but i wasn't listening... and... i don't wana get a lecture... DANX ALOT!

Last edited:

What is momentum collision difficulty?

Momentum collision difficulty refers to the challenges that arise when trying to accurately predict the outcome of a collision between two objects based on their initial velocities and masses.

Why is momentum collision difficulty important?

Understanding and accurately predicting the outcome of collisions is essential in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to design and build safe and efficient structures and machines.

What factors contribute to momentum collision difficulty?

The main factors that contribute to momentum collision difficulty are the mass and velocity of the objects involved, as well as the type of collision (elastic or inelastic). Other factors, such as friction and air resistance, may also play a role.

How do scientists overcome momentum collision difficulty?

Scientists use mathematical equations, such as the laws of conservation of momentum and energy, to calculate the outcome of a collision. They also conduct experiments and simulations to better understand the behavior of objects during collisions.

What are some real-world applications of momentum collision difficulty?

Momentum collision difficulty has many real-world applications, including car crash testing, designing sports equipment, and predicting the path of space debris. It is also crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.