Momentum comparing between two bodies

In summary, the conversation discusses two objects, m and 2m, that are subjected to a force F and move a distance X. It is concluded that the 2m object has a greater momentum than the m object, with a factor of √2, due to its larger mass and longer time to cover the same distance. To further support this conclusion, the suggestion is made to use kinematic equations to quantify the argument.
robax25

Homework Statement

There are two objects m and 2m and Force F is applied on both objects. They move a certain distance X. Which one have greater momentum and find out 2m has √2 times more momentum than m.

Homework Equations

momentum P=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

2m has greater momentum than m because P=2m*v and second question's answer, I do not know

Physics news on Phys.org
robax25 said:
2m has greater momentum than m because P=2m*v ...
Not necessarily. That would be the case if the velocities were the same. How about figuring out the acceleration of each mass and writing down some relevant kinematic equations?

impusle j=F*t,, as 2m has bigger mas than m. it takes more time to overcome certain distance x and so 2m has greater impulse than m. mv=F*t , it has greater momentum than m

The problem with this answer is that assumes the times are the same. As I posted earlier, how about finding some accelerations and writing down some kinematic equations?

no, it ( question) says they have different time t. i do not post all conditions there.

robax25 said:
no, it ( question) says they have different tme t.
That's not in the statement of the problem that you posted, but I agree that the times are different. Can you give a clearer explanation than "it takes more time to overcome certain distance x" why the time for the 2m mass is longer? Also, to get the quantitative factor of ##\sqrt{2}## for the second question, you must write down kinematic equations.

kuruman said:
That's not in the statement of the problem that you posted, but I agree that the times are different. Can you give a clearer explanation than "it takes more time to overcome certain distance x" why the time for the 2m mass is longer? Also, to get the quantitative factor of ##\sqrt{2}## for the second question, you must write down kinematic equations.
you give me some hints and I get my result.

Hints:
kuruman said:
How about figuring out the acceleration of each mass and writing down some relevant kinematic equations?
kuruman said:
As I posted earlier, how about finding some accelerations and writing down some kinematic equations?
kuruman said:
Also, to get the quantitative factor of ##\sqrt{2}## for the second question, you must write down kinematic equations.
:rolleyes:

robax25 said:
impusle j=F*t,, as 2m has bigger mas than m. it takes more time to overcome certain distance x and so 2m has greater impulse than m. mv=F*t , it has greater momentum than m

kuruman said:
The problem with this answer is that assumes the times are the same. As I posted earlier, how about finding some accelerations and writing down some kinematic equations?
Robax25's argument is valid. The distances are the same, the 2m will have the lower acceleration so take longer to cover that distance, and momentum is integral of F with time it will acquire the greater momentum.
The next step is to quantify it by putting equations to that argument.

haruspex said:
... the 2m will have the lower acceleration ...
This is precisely what I hoped OP would understand and enunciate from the start.

kuruman said:
This is precisely what I hoped OP would understand and enunciate from the start.
I merely paraphrased post #3 to demonstrate the OP had already got this.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity.

How is momentum calculated?

Momentum (p) can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v), using the formula p = mv.

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This means that momentum is conserved and cannot be created or destroyed.

How is momentum compared between two bodies?

Momentum can be compared between two bodies by calculating the momentum of each body using the formula p = mv and then comparing the values obtained. The body with the higher momentum will have a greater tendency to continue moving in its current direction.

What factors affect the momentum of an object?

The momentum of an object is affected by its mass and velocity. An object with a larger mass will have a higher momentum, while an object with a greater velocity will also have a higher momentum. Additionally, external forces such as friction can also affect the momentum of an object.