Momentum conservation - particle collision

In summary, the momentum of the alpha particles is conserved because they have equal and opposite momentum.
jsmith613

Homework Statement

http://s359.photobucket.com/albums/oo40/jsmith613/?action=view&current=MomentumConservation.png

MomentumConservation.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Working out how momentum is consered in this situation,...

I know that the mass of an alpha particle is 4*mass of proton...however, I am still slighly concerned because the alpha particles move in opposite vertical directions hence their momenta cancel...how is momentum conserved here (I know that horizontal momentum is conserved but how is vertical momentum conserved)??

Physics news on Phys.org
From the picture, the alpha particles don't seem to quite move in opposite directions. In any case, the horizontal momentum is absorbed by the foil, and ultimately by what's holding the foil in place.

vela said:
From the picture, the alpha particles don't seem to quite move in opposite directions. In any case, the horizontal momentum is absorbed by the foil, and ultimately by what's holding the foil in place.

but you cannot deny both alpha particles have horizontal momenta (but they must cancel to conserve linear momentum)...I guess that if the examiners were to ask a question about this in my exam they would make the diagram clearer...or they would simply ask me what I knew about the momenta of the particles.

Would the following answer be correct:

"As no external forces act the total momentum is conserved. Therefore the two alpha particles must move in opposite horizontal directions to conserve horizontal momentum. The total vertical momentum of both alpha particles must be equal in magnitude AND direction to the momentum of the proton"

I have drawn a blue line to show that the vertical momentum are in differnt directions...

Attachments

• MomentumConservation.png
    MomentumConservation.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 446
on reading about
"A proton is directed at a stationairy lithium target. The law of conservation of momentum states that the two alpha particles must have equal and opposite momentum"

How does this conserve momentum? If they are equal and opposite, it implies total momentum after is zero BUT total momentum before is not zero...what is going on?

1. What is momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning that it does not change over time. This means that in any interaction or collision between particles, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

2. How is momentum conserved in a particle collision?

In a particle collision, momentum is conserved through the exchange of momentum between the colliding particles. This means that if one particle gains momentum in a certain direction, the other particle must lose an equal amount of momentum in the opposite direction in order to maintain the total momentum of the system.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two particles in which there is no loss of kinetic energy. In other words, the total kinetic energy of the system before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. This type of collision is often seen in idealized situations, such as in the collision of billiard balls.

4. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision between two particles in which there is a loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system after the collision is less than the total kinetic energy before the collision. Inelastic collisions are often seen in real-world situations, such as in car crashes.

5. How does momentum conservation relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum conservation is directly related to Newton's laws of motion. Specifically, it is a consequence of Newton's third law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that in a particle collision, the forces exerted on each particle are equal and opposite, resulting in the conservation of momentum.