Momentum, Energy, and Spring problem

In summary, a mass of .5kg is resting on a vertical spring with a force constant of 55N/m. A mass of .25kg is dropped from a height of 12 cm onto the larger mass and sticks to it. The amplitude of the resulting oscillations is 8.45cm.
eriadoc

Homework Statement

A mass of .5kg is resting on a vertical spring with a force constant of 55N/m. A mass of .25kg is dropped from a height of 12 cm onto the larger mass and sticks to it. What is the amplitude of the resulting oscillations?

Homework Equations

p=mv; m_1v_1 + m_2v_2 = (Mtot)V_f; mgh=1/2mv^2 + 1/2kA^2
V^2=V_o^2 + 2ay

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea how to solve this problem. The answer is 5.97cm, but nothing I came up with is even close to that.

I started off by calculating the initial compression of the spring, since there's a weight resting atop it. F=kx; came out to 8.9cm.

Next, I calculated the velocity of the falling mass as it strikes the resting mass, and got 1.5344 m/s.

Next, I used that velocity in my conservation of momentum calculation and found the velocity of the combined mass velocity to be .5115 m/s.

Finally, I did mgh = .5mv^2 = .5kA^2, and A comes out to 0.0845m, or 8.45cm.

I calculated the initial compression, but didn't use it, and I suspect that has something to do with this, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get x=6.97cm.

But you said it should be 5.97cm, right?

Rick88 said:
I get x=6.97cm.

But you said it should be 5.97cm, right?

This was a test question that I missed. The professor released the answer key so we could study for the final (which is this evening), and the answer is 5.97cm. At any rate, 6.97 was not a choice.

Oh yeah, I made a mistake.
I'll look into it.

Appreciate it. several of my classmates are trying as well, but none of us seem to get it.

find the final velocity of both masses together after the 250 hits the 750 and then use
.5mv^2 = .5kA^2

oops I meant the .25kg hits the .5 kg

That did the trick, thanks! And now I understand what I was doing wrong. I was conserving energy as if it were an elastic collision, thus setting E_i to mgh and E_f to .5mv^2 + .5kA^2. I appreciate the help!

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, where there is no external force acting on the system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that the initial momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the final momentum after the collision or interaction.

3. What is energy?

Energy is the ability of a system to do work. It exists in many forms, including kinetic, potential, thermal, and chemical energy.

4. How is energy related to motion?

Energy and motion are closely related. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or configuration. In a spring problem, the potential energy stored in the spring is converted into kinetic energy as the spring oscillates back and forth.

5. What is Hooke's Law and how does it relate to springs?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position. This means that the more an object stretches or compresses a spring, the greater the restoring force exerted by the spring. This law is commonly used in spring problems to calculate the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.