1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum: Nucleus decays into 3

1. Mar 15, 2012 #1
    Can someone please help with this one? I'm not sure what to do here. I broke momentum for particles one and two into components (found m1v1cosθ1 + m2v2cosθ2 and m1v1sinθ1 + m2v2sinθ2) but this is not correct and I really don't know what to do. Please help!!

A certain nucleus at rest suddenly decays into three particles, two of which are charged and can be easily detected. The data gathered for these two particles is:

Particle 1 has mass m1 = 3.00 x 10^-20 kg moving at speed v1 = 5.25 x 10^5 m/s at θ1 = 51.9o.

Particle 2 has mass m2 = 2.11 x 10^-25 kg moving at speed v2 = 1.10 x 10^7 m/s at θ2 = 220o.

Find p3, the momentum of the third piece in i-j notation

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2012 #2
    Can anyone help? Since it started from rest should the total momentum be 0?

4. Mar 15, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Write up the sum of all the x and y components in separate equations and equate them to zero.

ehild

5. Mar 16, 2012 #4
    Thank you!!

6. Mar 16, 2012 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are welcome. Have you got the correct solution?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook