Momentum of Block A and B Colliding

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, Ma and Mb, colliding with initially different velocities. The final velocities of both blocks are not known, but it is given that Mb is equal to 3 times Ma. The first part of the problem involves finding which block has a larger change in the magnitude of momentum, which can be solved by taking the difference between the final and initial momenta of both blocks. The second part involves finding the final velocity of block B, which can be solved using the equation p=mv. Finally, the last part of the problem involves considering the total kinetic energy of both blocks before and after the collision to determine which block exerts a larger impulse on the other. This can be solved by using the fact
Tim Wellens

Homework Statement

The whole problem is in variables, which tends to confuse me a little.

We have two blocks that collide, Ma and Mb. Initially Ma experiences a positive velocity. Mb experiences a 0 velocity. Finally, Ma experiences a negative velocity, while we do not yet know Mb's final velocity. Mb=3Ma

Find which one of the blocks (if either) has a larger change in the magnitude of the momentum. Explain.
If the initial speed of block A is 20 m/s and the final speed is 5 m/s. What is the final velocity of block b?
In which case, if either, does block a exert a larger impulse on block b?

Homework Equations

p=mv
m1v1=m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

1)[/B] I'm not sure how I would calculate variables with a change in magnitude any further than this
ΔPa= -MaVaf-MaVai= -2
ΔPb= MbVb-0=MbVb
So, block A has the larger change in the magnitude of the momentum since it would change by 2MaVa, while block B changes by 1MbVb.

2) Pai+Pbi=Paf+Pbf
Ma(20m/s) +0=Ma(-5m/s)+ 3MaVbf
divide Ma out of the left side, and the rest of the Ma's cancel.
20m/s= -5m/s+3Vbf
25m/s=3Vbf
Vbf=8.3m/s

3)
I'm not sure how to calculate this. I know Impulse= J= Δp, and I know that block A overall exerts the greater magnitude of momentum. I guess for "which case" it must mean initial or final. I think in the final case block A would be exerting a greater impulse on block b because that's when block B actually has a velocity and moves from the impact of block a. But I am not sure how that relates to Δp, if we aren't dealing with both the initial and final, rather just one "case".

Physics news on Phys.org
Tim Wellens said:
ΔPa= -MaVaf-MaVai= -2
How can you say it equals -2? You don't even have any specified units, let alone any numeric values yet.
Think about signs. What should the signs look like when you take the difference between two values?

To answer this part of the question you will need to think about energy. What do you know about the total kinetic energy before and after?

I was just kind of thinking about it in terms of -1 - 1. The sign of MaVaf is negative, the sign of MaVai is positive.
In terms of kinetic energy, both -MaVaf and MaVai would have positive kinetic energy due to the block being in motion. Block B would initially have zero kinetic energy, but finally would have positive kinetic energy. So, in total there would be more kinetic energy in the final case due to both block A and B being in motion.

Tim Wellens said:
I was just kind of thinking about it in terms of -1 - 1. The sign of MaVaf is negative, the sign of MaVai is positive.
In terms of kinetic energy, both -MaVaf and MaVai would have positive kinetic energy due to the block being in motion. Block B would initially have zero kinetic energy, but finally would have positive kinetic energy. So, in total there would be more kinetic energy in the final case due to both block A and B being in motion.
The change in momentum is final momentum - initial momentum, i.e. mass x (final velocity - initial velocity). Yes, the velocity values will have opposite signs, but that doesn't change the algebraic equation.

Kinetic energy is always non-negative, but the total cannot increase. You need to use that fact to answer this question.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, determined by multiplying its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum conserved in a collision between blocks A and B?

In an isolated system, such as a collision between blocks A and B, the total momentum before and after the collision remains constant. This means that the combined momentum of the two blocks before the collision is equal to the combined momentum of the two blocks after the collision.

3. How does the mass and velocity of the blocks affect the momentum of the collision?

The momentum of the collision is directly proportional to the mass and velocity of the blocks. This means that the greater the mass and velocity of the blocks, the greater the momentum of the collision.

4. Can momentum be transferred between the blocks during the collision?

Yes, momentum can be transferred between the blocks during the collision. This is how the total momentum of the system remains constant. The direction of the momentum transfer depends on the direction of the collision.

5. How does the law of conservation of momentum apply to a collision between blocks A and B?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before and after a collision remains constant. In the case of a collision between blocks A and B, the total momentum of the two blocks before the collision is equal to the total momentum of the two blocks after the collision, thus demonstrating the conservation of momentum.