Momentum Principle question dealing with a spacecraft's velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses navigating a spacecraft in space with a mass of 4.0 x 10^4 kg and a constant velocity of ‹ 0, 28, 0 › km/s. After firing side thrusters for 22 seconds with a net force of ‹ 5.0 105, 0, 0 › N, the spacecraft continues to coast with engines off. The question asks for the location of the spacecraft an hour later, and the equations used include the Momentum Principle and position update equation. However, there may be some misunderstanding or incorrect use of the equations.
peachhcake

Homework Statement

You are navigating a spacecraft in space. The mass of the spacecraft is 4.0 x 10^4 kg. The engines are off, and you're coasting with a constant velocity of ‹ 0, 28, 0 › km/s. As you pass the location ‹ 5, 6, 0 › km you briefly fire side thruster rockets, so that your spacecraft experiences a net force of ‹ 5.0 105, 0, 0 › N for 22 s. The gases have a mass that is small compared to the mass of the spacecraft . You then continue coasting with the engines turned off. Where are you an hour later?

Homework Equations

Instructions say to use the step one of the Momentum Principle (p = Fnet(Δt)), then step one of the position update equation. I'm not sure if I am using the right equation, I think it's →rf = →ri + Vavg(Δt). I have also used pf = pi + Fnet(Δt), rf = ri + viΔt + 1/2(F/m)(Δt^2).

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, when I first attempted the question, I used the Momentum Principle to find the initial momentum. After finding the initial momentum, I found the final momentum using the equation pf = pi + Fnet(Δt). I then found the final velocity by rearranging p = mv... then got stuck. I attempted to use rf = ri + viΔt + 1/2(F/m)(Δt^2), but that didn't result in a correct answer. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the question, or the instructions.
Help is very much appreciated! Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get stuck with p=mv?

It looks like you are trying to apply equations without understanding what is happening.
I notice that your force vector appears to have four components... but if I'm guessing correctly, the entire motion occurs in the x-y plane?

I'm not sure how you used the equation ... here are a number of ways that would be wrong ... i.e. Δt would only be for the time that the force was applied - 22s. Once the rockets stop firing you are back to constant velocity.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, taking into account both its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How does momentum relate to a spacecraft's velocity?

According to the Momentum Principle, the momentum of an object will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a spacecraft, its velocity will remain constant if no external forces, such as gravity or thrust, are acting on it.

Why is momentum important in space travel?

Momentum is important in space travel because it helps us understand how objects will behave and interact with each other in the absence of external forces. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations for spacecraft trajectories and maneuvers.

How is momentum conserved in space?

In space, there are few external forces acting on objects, so momentum is conserved according to the Momentum Principle. This means that if two objects collide, their combined momentum before the collision will be equal to their combined momentum after the collision.

Can momentum be changed in space?

Yes, momentum can be changed in space through the application of external forces, such as thrust from a spacecraft's engines. This can be used to change the spacecraft's velocity and alter its trajectory.