Calculating Momentum Change in a Ball-Wall Collision: 100g Mass & 1 m/s Velocity

• Thread starter Matejxx1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary: Thanks everyone after reading all of this through again I think I got it.So if I understand this now;a)P=Pf-Pi=((0.1kg)*(-1m/s))-((0.1kg)*(1m/s))=(-0.1Ns)-(0.1Ns)= the change in momentum is 0.2Ns? and b) is basically the same just diffrenct numbers?Thanks everyone after reading all of this through again I think I got it.So if I understand this now;a)P=Pf-Pi=((0.1kg)*(-1m/s))-((0.1
Matejxx1

Homework Statement

A ball with a mass of 100g is moving with a velocity of 1 m/s . It collides into a wall, from which it bounces off with the same speed and the same angle. Calculate the change in momentum if
a) it falls perpendicular to the wall (correct answer 0.2kg*m/s)
b) it falls with an angle of 30° (correct answer 0.17 kg*m/s)
I would aprecciate if someone could help me solve this. We only started covering this topic today and I didn't quite understand it.

P.S if the writting seems strange/incorret I am very sorry it's hard to translate from Slovenian

Homework Equations

P=m*v
P=m*v*30cos

The Attempt at a Solution

for a)I have tried using this equation
P=m*v
which got me
P=0.1kg*1m/s=0.1Ns (I am supposed to get 0.2Ns)
for b) I tried
P=0.1kg*1m/s*30cos=0.086Ns.(I am supposed to get 0.17 Ns)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are forgetting about the initial momentum of the ball. The change in momentum is the final momentum minus the initial momentum.

Likes 1 person
I believe the inital momentum is 0 the since it doesn't give me the Time that the ball traveled, but correct me if I'm wrong

Momentum doesn't care about time, it is simply mass times velocity.

Likes 1 person
It helps to draw diagrams anytime you are struggling wrapping your head around a concept.

In this case you have an initial momentum before the ball hits the wall, because the ball has a mass and it is moving.

Note that Momentum is ALWAYS conserved.

Edit: Did away with potentially confusing, poorly worded, section.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
So what is the correct way to get the answer I still don't get it sorry

If you cannot deduce what the change in momentum is, then you need to refer to your textbook, plus it was told to you in the first response.

Momentum is a vector quantity, so the change in momentum is equal to the difference between the final momentum (vector) and the initial momentum (vector). The velocity of the ball changes direction when it hits the wall, so its momentum vector also changes direction. You need to take this into account in part 1. In part 2, the one component of the momentum vector changes direction, but not the other component. So the change in momentum is only the difference between the one component that changes direction.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Thanks everyone after reading all of this through again I think I got it.
so if I understand this now;
a)P=Pf-Pi=((0.1kg)*(-1m/s))-((0.1kg)*(1m/s))=(-0.1Ns)-(0.1Ns)= the change in momentum is 0.2Ns?
and
b) is basically the same just diffrenct numbers?

Matejxx1 said:
Thanks everyone after reading all of this through again I think I got it.
so if I understand this now;
a)P=Pf-Pi=((0.1kg)*(-1m/s))-((0.1kg)*(1m/s))=(-0.1Ns)-(0.1Ns)= the change in momentum is 0.2Ns?
and b is basically the same with diffrenct numbers?
In part b, you need to do it in component form, determining the change in momentum in each of the coordinate directions.

Likes 1 person
Yeah I did that and I got this equation
P=m*v*30cos

Matejxx1 said:
Yeah I did that and I got this equation
P=m*v*30cos
Great. So now get the change in P.

Chet

1. What is momentum and how is it calculated?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity.

2. How do you calculate the momentum change in a ball-wall collision?

To calculate the momentum change, you need to know the initial momentum of the object before the collision and the final momentum of the object after the collision. Subtract the initial momentum from the final momentum to determine the change in momentum.

3. What is the mass of the object in this scenario?

The mass of the object in this scenario is 100 grams, or 0.1 kilograms.

4. What is the velocity of the object in this scenario?

The velocity of the object in this scenario is 1 meter per second.

5. How does the mass and velocity affect the momentum change in a ball-wall collision?

The momentum change in a ball-wall collision is directly proportional to the mass and velocity of the object. This means that a larger mass and/or higher velocity will result in a greater momentum change during the collision.